Our goal is to create active citizens through service throughout the world. Join the ASB Board if you want to help plan these trips for other students each year.
BreakAway is an important partner to our program. We utilize their resources to help create meaningful service experiences. Join the MOVEMENT!
The University of Louisville Office of Student Involvement houses this branch of service known as the Alternative Service Break (ASB) program to bring students together to challenge themselves and develop as leaders while helping others in communities across the U.S. and internationally. By engaging students in hands-on direct service, ASBs allow individuals to reflect on the impact they can have on communities. The idea of an ASB places a heavy emphasis on critical thinking and reflection, turning a passion for volunteering and "doing" into a lifelong commitment to civic engagement.
In addition, trip participants will be immersed in a variety of cultural, educational, recreational and reflective activities to enhance their service experience; which will be provided through the presiding board of fellow students.
Overall, participating students will:
● build friendships and network with fellow students, university staff, faculty and community members
● develop leadership skills by gaining experience in planning and organizing, goal-setting, time management, communications, and team-building
● learn appreciation for working with individuals from diverse populations
● learn about real world problems and community-based solutions
● have fun working with your fellow UofL students