2019 Newcomb College Institute Summer Internship Funding Program Application
The Newcomb College Institute Summer Internship Funding Program Grant Application
Newcomb College Institute’s Summer Internship Funding Program offers competitive grants of up to $2,000 to support housing and travel costs for internship positions that relate to NCI's mission.
Applications are open to all full-time undergraduate students in good standing with the university. Applicants must be enrolled as full-time undergraduate students in both the spring 2019 and fall 2019 semesters to be eligible for an award.
Students may apply for a grant once they have applied for an internship, even if they have not been accepted at an internship site. We understand the timeline of acceptance for internship sites may vary from our internship application deadline. However, students must have accepted an internship offer prior to the disbursement of grant funds if one is awarded.
Students may apply for up to $2,000 to be used for housing and transportation related to their internship.
Newcomb Scholars may apply for up to $3,000 to be used towards housing and transportation related to their internship.
Students are encouraged to apply for funding from other campus partners to improve chances of receiving funding.
In order to be considered for grant funding, the internship must meet the following requirements:
- The internship must be centered in women’s leadership or gender equality, and support NCI’s mission of educating undergraduates for women’s leadership. In the personal statement, students must clearly articulate how their internship connects to NCI’s mission and the student’s future career goals.
- The internship should require a minimum of 240 hours of work (40 hours/week for 6 weeks) at the internship site. Internships for less time will be considered, however, they may be awarded less funding. The 240 hours must be earned after the last day of exams in spring 2019 and prior to the first day of classes in fall 2019.
- The internship work must be supervised by a full-time professional (supervisors cannot be family members or volunteers within the internship organization).
- Internships should be minimally paid or unpaid.
- Internships cannot count for class credit. CPS service-learning credit is the only exception.
- Students cannot pay a site to serve as an intern (“pay-to” intern).
Grant Recipient Responsibilities:
Grant recipients must:
- Attend a mandatory pre-internship meeting, scheduled before the end of the spring semester.
- Complete the internship at the site submitted in the application. Changes in internship sites must be approved by the Director for Student Leadership and Engagement.
- Complete the hourly requirements for the internship.
- Complete all paperwork requested by NCI within the deadlines provided.
- Complete 4 blog entries following prompts shared by NCI.
- Adhere to the Tulane Code of Conduct while at the internship site.
- Submit a final evaluation completed by the site supervisor to NCI.
Grant recipients may be asked to speak at NCI events or with the generous funders that support the NCI Summer Internship Funding Program.
Visit our blog to read about students that received grant funding for internship support and conference attendance
To apply, please submit:
- An application form
- Personal statement outlining how the internship connects to NCI’s mission and the student’s future career goals, and the need for funding assistance to complete the internship.
- 5 Learning Objectives that outline what the student hopes to accomplish and learn at the internship site
- Internship job description
- A budget worksheet with exact costs of housing and transportation for which funding is requested, and a note of other grants the student is seeking.
Links to Application Materials:
The Newcomb College Institute Summer Internship Funding Application will open on Friday, March 1, 2019 and closes Monday, April 15, 2019 at 5 PM (CST). A committee will review all applications, and internship grant recipients will be notified of their awarded amount no later than Tuesday, April 30, 2019. If you have questions or need additional information, please visit our website at newcomb.tulane.edu, or email us at email@example.com.