Auraria Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week is Next Week!
Nov 8, 2016 by Christopher Jordan Herr
Next Monday - Wednesday, November 14th - 16th, is national Hunger and Homelessness Awareness week! We will have different events each day with opportunities for students, faculty and staff to give back to those students in need and learn more about these important issues. Please see the flyer or the descriptions below for more information on what we are doing each day.
AHHA week is a joint effort among all three campuses to raise awareness around and bring support to students facing housing and food insecurities. During this week, a number of schools, communities and cities take part in a nationwide effort to bring greater awareness to and increase understanding of the issues of poverty, food insecurity, hunger and homelessness. For more info: http://nationalhomeless.org/about-us/projects/awareness-week/.
Monday, November 14th: Come on by the Tivoli Turnhalle from 12pm - 1:15pm for an Urban Gardening workshop with Ekar and Wealth in Community Knowledge! We have 20 spots available for making apartment-friendly compost bins right at 12pm! We will also be the screening of a hunger awareness documentary called Hunger in America from 1:30 - 3:00pm
Tuesday, November 15th: We will have a lot going on in the Tivoli Turnhalle from 11am - 2pm including:
- Stop and Serve - this is a 5-10 minute volunteering opportunity where we will be making hats and/or hygiene bags for the homeless. Everyone has time to serve!
- Gobbler Baskets - if you signed up to receive a Gobbler Basket through the CU Denver or Community College of Denver's Food Pantry, you can pick those up here.
- Other opportunities to give back to fellow students by donating to the Food Pantry or the Loving Lynx Fund
- Food! We will have lunch available for participants.
- From 4 - 6pm, there will be a Listening Session in Tivoli 309 with the Close to Home initiative (http://closetohomeco.org/)
Wednesday, November 16th: There will be a screening of a documentary that addresses homelessness entitled Gimmie Shelter. This will be in CCD's Confluence Assembly Rooms from 2:30 - 5pm