2017-18 Special Request Form - Incidental Fee Budget Transfers and Surplus Requests
Use this form to request an internal budget transfer or surplus request from Student Senate. Senate meets weekly during the academic year, on Wednesday evenings at 7:00. Senate does not meet during Finals Week and has the option to meet during Week 10 and the week of Thanksgiving.
Eligibility and Purpose
This form is available to ASUO-Recognized Student Organizations, Department-Based Programs funded by the Department Finance Committee, and EMU-Based Programs. It has two purposes:
- Qualifying organizations (as defined above) may use it to request additional incidental funds beyond what their organization was allocated during the annual ASUO Budget Process.
- ASUO-Recognized Student Organizations may use this form to request to spend money for a different purpose than originally allocated.
Requests for ASUO-Recognized Student Organization funding must be submitted by an officer of the Student Organization, as categorized in your Organization's OrgSync portal. Requests not made by officers will be denied.
Deadline & Scheduling
Completed forms must be received at least three business days (excluding holidays and ASUO Finance closures) in advance of any Student Senate meeting. For example, if Senate is scheduled to meet on Wednesday evening, Senate may only consider Special Requests which were submitted by the previous Friday.
Advance planning is strongly encouraged. Requests should be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to the date that funds are needed. If your organization's proposed expenditure requires a contract, the request must be heard and approved before the contract(s) is/are initiated.
Important scheduling information:
- The Senate President will alert the requester as to which Senate hearing the request will be heard. Representatives from the requesting Organization are strongly suggested to attend the hearing to present their request.
- The Senate President creates the Senate agenda and schedules requests. Requester should be prepared for the possibility that their request may be postponed to a hearing date which is later than the next immediate date.
- For requests that total an amount higher than $999: a representative from the requesting organization must meet with a Senator to discuss the request. This may occur before or after the form is completed and MUST occur before the request will be scheduled. It is the responsibility of the requesting organization to reach out to Student Senate. Each Senator holds regular office hours; consult their schedule online.
- Senate is not required to meet during dead week, finals week, academic breaks or the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
Tips for Completing
- Please complete a separate Special Request Form for each event/program/activity.
- Student Organizations will need a copy of your organization's current ledger from ASUO Finance prior to completing the form; this information will provide you the balances, account codes, and/or names of line items to accurately complete it.
- Any requests which result in surplus allocations must be spent prior to June 30, in accordance with fiscal year-end policies.
Requests may be denied when:
- Request is for a contracted service which fails to meet contract processing timelines.
- Request is for an expenditure which occurs in a different fiscal year (e.g. before July 1 or after June 30).
- Requested activity/expenditure does not meet allowable use of Incidental Fee or is not allowable under UO policy.
- Request is incomplete or misrepresents organization's account data (e.g. request uses the wrong organization account number).
- Requester has requested Student Organization funding and is not listed as an officer for the requesting organization.
- Requester contacts ASUO Finance and asks that the request be denied or returned for edits.
After the Form is Submitted
- Upon receipt, the Special Request will be reviewed by ASUO Finance and may be returned to the requester or denied if information is unclear or if the request is outside of the allowable use of the Incidental Fund.
- As soon as ASUO Finance confirms that the request meets administrative requirements and is an authorized expenditure of the Incidental Fund, the request will be forwarded to Student Senate for their consideration.
- Requester is strongly encouraged to meet with a senator to review the request prior to scheduling. For requests totaling an amount higher than $999, requester is required to meet with a senator and requester must initiate this meeting.
- Student Senate President, with their sole discretion, will schedule the request for a hearing and notify the requester of the hearing date.
- Requester and/or representatives from the requesting organization will present the request to Senate at the assigned date/time.
- ASUO Senate will vote to approve or deny the request. If approved, the request will be subject to approval or veto of the ASUO President.
- Requests meeting both Senate AND Executive approval will appear in Organization's account within one week of Executive approval.
- For general questions about the special request process, accessing or completing the form, or to inquire about the status of your request, please drop by ASUO Finance during business hours or contact the Controllers at email@example.com or 541-346-0626.
- For questions related to the Senate hearing schedule or the result of the hearing, please contact the Student Senate President at firstname.lastname@example.org.