Multicultural Peer Advocate 2014-2015 Application
Note: ALL APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS ARE FINAL. Please have the following ready at the time of application:
- Current Updated Resume
- Please create a 2-5 minute video of yourself answering the following questions (can be hosted on youtube, vimeo, etc.).
- Why do you want to be an MPA?
- What characteristics or traits do you possess that will benefit you in this position? What would you like to accomplish as an MPA?
- What do you hope to gain personally?
- Anything else you would like to include.
- For the graphic designer position, a portfolio sample will need to be submitted. (20 mb max)
The Multicultural Peer Advocates (MPAs) are responsible for participating in the planning, coordinating, and implementation of the Multicultural Center’s programs. These students provide peer advising, general office assistance, advising, diversity presentations, and assistance in recruitment of minority students. They also participate in freshmen orientation, Comet Camp and Scholars Weekend, write blogs, serve on various committees, and are knowledgeable of UT Dallas policies, rules and regulations.
The MPAs are personal and academic role models on the campus; the success of the MPA program can be attributed in large, to the dedication, creativity, and leadership they have provided over the past fifteen years.
Responsibilities for Cultural MPA (4 positions available):
• Represent and promote the Multicultural Center to students and the entire campus community
• Serve as a role model for UT Dallas students, assist students with academic success, personal and social issues
• Refer students to appropriate offices and resources on campus as needed
• Work 15 office hours per week including some nights and weekends
• Research history & culture in order to create cultural programs & events
• Create, attend & plan cultural events for the UT Dallas campus
• Promote department events and initiatives
• Represent the Multicultural Center At University-wide functions (Welcome Week, New/Transfer Student
Orientations, Freshmen Move-In, Comet Camp)
• Serve as a liaison to one cultural student organization
• Attend Safe Zone & Comet Pride Customer Service Trainings & Leaders Meet Conference
Responsibilities for Graphic Design, Marketing & Advertising (1 position available):
Responsibilities in this role will vary greatly, giving you the chance to be creative in tasks such as:
Creating logos, brochures, advertisements, apparel, promotional items, presentations, and graphics for the web, our magazine, and social media. It also includes photo-editing and vector illustration.
This MPA position will:
- create print and digital media to advertise Multicultural Center programs, events, initiatives and services
- aid in the creation of marketing & advertising plans for Multicultural Center initiatives
- assist with maintaining the Multicultural Center website
- aid in managing Multicultural Center social media sites
- compile event statistics and data, creating event reports and summaries
- Assist in planning coordinating and implementation of MC programs
- Participate in diversity presentations and university activities such as Scholars‘ Day and Preview Day.
- Attend weekly staff meeting and bi-weekly supervisor meeting
- Participate in Freshman Orientation and Comet Camp
- Must be a full-time student during long semesters (12 hours undergraduate; 9 hours graduate) at the time of application and throughout tenure as a Peer Advocate
- Maximum number of credit hours per semester is 15; Additional hours must have prior approval from the coordinator
- Be a Currently enrolled, UT Dallas student who has completed at least UTD 30 hours
- A cumulative 2.85 GPA at the time of the application and throughout the program
- All applicants must be eligible for employment in the United States
- All applicants must submit information for a background check
- The Peer Advocate position must take first priority over all other extra-curricular activities
- Agree to a full academic year (June through May) commitment
REQUIRED TRAININGS (if selected):
If selected, candidates must available to attend the following trainings:
- NACA Huge Leadership Weekend : May 29th - June1st
- On the Job Training: June 4th, 13th, 18th, 19th, 27th, July 11th & 21st
- New Student Orientation: June 11th, 19th, 26th, July 10th & 20th, August 18th
- $9.00 per hour
- 15 hours per week (Fall & Spring)
- 12 hours per week (Summer)
- Some nights & weekends required