Senate Agenda & Announcements 10-12-17
Oct 12, 2017 by Jonathan D Peuchen
I hope that everyone has had a great week thus far! I would like to ask that everyone take a quick look at the announcements, committee reports, and directors reports for this week.
ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR THE WEEK
- Smile! SGA will be taking a group picture for the Royal Purple Yearbook on October 19th at 6:30 pm. Please be in the Wildcat Chamber by 6:20 pm so we can get our group organized for pictures.
- The application for the 2017-2018 Elections Commissioner is now live and will be open until Friday, October 13th at midnight. The form can be found at the following link: https://orgsync.com/83329/forms/284329
- If you are interested in serving on a short-term allocations committee, such as the Academic Competition Teams Allocation Committee, The Student Centered Tuition Enhancements Committee, and/or the Sports Clubs Allocation Committee, please apply at the following link: https://orgsync.com/83329/forms/286983
- Proxies: If you are going to be absent, please fill out the proxy form at the link below even if you are not sure if your absence will be excused: https://orgsync.com/83329/forms/103764
- Orth for Kidd
- Jewell for McIntire
- SGA Member of the Week this week goes to Cynthia Karanja for diving into her SGA involvement including being involved in changes to Bill 08 and volunteering to serve on the Special Committee on Membership!
COMMITTEE MINUTES FOR THE WEEK
Student Senate Meeting:
- Bill 17/18/04 - Creation of the Special Committee on Membership is referred to senate favorably 8-0-0.
- Bill 17/18/08 - Amendment to the Kansas State University Student Governing Association By-Laws Concerning Adding a Gender Diversity Representative to the Diversity Programming Committee is referred to senate with no recommendation 8-0-0.
- Senators on the Diversity Programming Committee will be Kylie Andres and Ryan Kelly.
- Speaker Pro Tem Tendai Munyanyi will be hosting a meeting about SGA Week on Sunday, October 15th at 3:00pm in CSI.
College Allocations Committee:
- Reviewed Ag Ambassadors Travel Allocation Request.
Governmental Relations Committee:
Privilege Fee Committee:
- Presentation from Student Publications
- It was moved and seconded to send Office of Student Activities & Services, Sports Club Activity Fee and Student Activity Fee legislation back to Student Senate favorably. Motion passed unanimously.
Senate Operations Committee:
- Reviewed and edited legislation for senate
Student Engagement Committee:
University Allocations Committee:
Diversity Programming Committee:
- No Meeting
DIRECTOR’S REPORTS FOR THE WEEK
Directors – Please submit agenda items at the following link: https://orgsync.com/83329/forms/239984
Student Support Director Stephen Kucera:
- The grand opening for Cats Cupboard (Fairchild 009) is this Monday, October 16.
- Spoke to Faculty Senate on Tuesday regarding KSU SGA's resolution in support of our DACA students. They are planning on creating a similar resolution.
- Investigating aspects and improvements to the Student Organization Restructuring Policy with the Judicial Branch and other Cabinet members:
- Requirement that DSO's budgets must now be included with the department's budget.
- There is no current way to un-register or deny access to SGA funding for an organization if multiple members commit criminal offenses.
- Creation or re-purposing of an existing SGA judicial board to hear appeals regarding student organization registration.
State Relations Director James Krotz:
- Representative Tom Phillips (R-Manhattan) will be coming to speak to Senate on Thursday, Nov. 2nd. Rep. Phillips is the former mayor of Manhattan and an adjunct faculty member in the College of Architecture. He will be speaking on the legislative outlook for the 2018 session and the ongoing budgetary concerns facing our state.
Multicultural Affairs Director Mary Abounabhan:
- DACA Letter Writing Initiative for the Month of October