Senate Agenda & Announcements 9-14-17
Sep 14, 2017 by Jonathan D Peuchen
I hope that everyone has had a great week thus far! I would like to ask that everyone take a quick look at the announcements, committee reports, and directors reports for this week.
ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR THE WEEK
- The City-University Special Projects fund takes the revenue generated from sales tax on campus and devotes it to projects that benefit both K-State and the Manhattan community. If you know of any additions, changes, or improvements that would improve the student experience at K-State, this is your place to share your thoughts!
- University President Richard B. Myers will be presenting the State of the University Address on September 29th at 3:30pm in Forum Hall. This is a great event to hear about the direction our university will be heading this year!
- Proxies: If you are going to be absent, please fill out the proxy form at the link below even if you are not sure if your absent will be excused: https://orgsync.com/83329/forms/103764
- Senator of the Week this week goes to Senator Ryan Kelly for presenting on the Diversity Task Force to the Student Advisory Committee of the Kansas Board of Regents and traveling to the University of Nebraska – Lincoln for their Husker Dialogues to bring back ideas of how we can reform our notion of cultural competency!
COMMITTEE MINUTES FOR THE WEEK
Student Senate Meeting 8-29-17:
- Heard presentation from Speaker Pro Tempore Munyanyi about an initiative for college caucuses
- Brainstormed City-University Funds projects
College Allocations Committee:
Governmental Relations Committee:
- Discussed City-University Funds projects, a voter registration drive and ways to get the community involved in Local Elections
Privilege Fee Committee:
- Fine Arts Fee Presentation by SGA Treasurer Andrew Peuchen
- See supporting documents here: https://orgsync.com/83329/files/1308615/show
- Recreation Services Maintenance Reserve request discussion and debate
- It was moved and seconded that we authorize the expenditures from the Recreational Services Maintenance Reserve Account for $20,000 for the Recreational Services gymnasium light project. Motion passed 7-0-0.
Senate Operations Committee:
- No meeting
Student Engagement Committee:
- Laken Tedrow was elected Vice Chair.
- Signups to attend student group meetings took place.
- CSI changes were discussed and committee members were given the necessary info to spread the word to other organizations.
- A special project was discussed about the potential to host a workshop for student groups to attend to learn the inner workings of how to navigate K-State.
University Allocations Committee:
Diversity Programming Committee:
DIRECTOR’S REPORTS FOR THE WEEK
Directors – Please submit agenda items at the following link: https://orgsync.com/83329/forms/239984
Attorney General Haley Hannaman
- Cases: The Student Review Board heard one case this week and will hear four cases this week.
- Open positions: Applications for the Judicial Branch are due on Sunday, September 17th, 2017, at 1:00pm. The application can be found here: https://orgsync.com/83329/forms/261003
State Relations Director James Krotz
- Background presentation on the budget shortfall in Kansas.
Multicultural Affairs Director Mary Abounabhan
- DACA Letters
- Statements by Jack and Olivia and MSO leaders about fliers
- Solidarity Rally
- Future steps and plans
International Affairs Director Fiorella Aguero
- Invitation to Halal meal launch on campus called "Halal friendly night", on Sunday, September 24, from 5pm to 9pm.
See you all tonight!