2019 Maryland-Memphis Leadership Exchange Application
Both Memphis and Washington DC have taken center stage in history and present day as places where people congregate, collaborate, and voice opposition or support for causes with national impact. While the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom and the Memphis Sanitation Workers' Strike are among the most well-known examples of organized leadership for change in these cities, both have also been the source of significant leadership and gatherings for advocacy around contemporary issues of gun violence, women’s rights, and the justice system.
Through the new Maryland-Memphis Leadership Exchange program, you'll explore social justice and community-based leadership within the context of interconnected social issues and communities in Washington DC metro area, Memphis, nationally, and worldwide. Through two four-day immersion experiences, one in Memphis and one in Washington DC, students from both University of Memphis and University of Maryland will meet with community and campus leaders, engage with nonprofit agency staff, and are engaged in interactive leadership learning environments with peers.
The Maryland-Memphis Leadership Exchange program is a unique, new initiative in partnership between the University of Maryland Leadership and Community Service-Learning and the University of Memphis Student Leadership and Involvement Offices.
Selected participants must be available and committed to engaging in all of the program components listed below.
- 2 in-person meetings at UMD in November and December 2018
- 1 online video conference meeting in January 2019
- 4-day Immersion Experience in Memphis, TN from January 18th-21st, 2019
- 1 in-person meeting at UMD in February/March 2019
- 4-day Immersion Experience in Washington DC from March 29th-April 1st, 2019
- Program debrief and wrap up meeting in April 2019
- This program has a non-refundable $100 participation fee, payable when you are accepted to the program.
- Flights and local transportation will be coordinated by the LCSL office. The UMD cohort will depart from DCA or BWI and travel as a group to and from Memphis in January.
- UMD students will be housed in residence hall/apartment rooms of Memphis students during the Jan. 18-21 trip.
- UMD student participants are expected to host 1 University of Memphis student during the Mar. 29-Apr. 1 trip, including providing a place to stay the night (residence hall, apartment, house, etc), even if that is a couch or an air mattress
- All meals during the immersion experiences, except for 1, will be provided and paid for by the program. Meals/snacks in the airport and dinner on each Saturday will be on your own.
Applications due November 27th.