Brothers for Excellence Faculty/Staff Mentor Application 2019-2020
Brother for Excellence Mission Statement:
The mission of the brothers for excellence program is to assist mxn of color achieve success in all aspects of life and satisfaction as members of the Loyola community. In connection with the Jesuit tradition, the program seeks to provide care for the entire person “cura personalis” as we guide, support, and challenge our mxn of color. To empower and cultivate relationship with mxn of color to discover, connect, and transform at Loyola and beyond.
Brothers for Excellence Mentorship Program is intended to fulfill the following:
- Foster meaningful relationships with B4E brothers, peer mentors, faculty, and professional staff of color
- Enrich and strengthen connection of men of color within the Loyola community
- Increase retention rates among men of color and track academic progress of all participants
- Facilitate leadership development among brothers
- Cultivate personal empowerment among brothers
As a staff/faculty mentor of B4E, I am expected to:
- Self-identify as a Mxn of Color
- Complete the B4E Staff/Faculty Mentor Application on OrgSync by Sunday, August 11th at 11:30pm
- Set up monthly one on ones with assigned peer mentor and/or mentee(s)
- Complete monthly check-in forms
- Encourage peer mentor and mentee(s) to attend all B4E programs
- Attend a B4E Staff/Faculty Mentor Orientation & Training - Monday, August 19th, 12-1:30pm (LSC) Damen Student Center 216
o Lunch Provided & Accessible via Zoom if unable to attend
- Attend B4E Mentee Orientation for Mentor/Mentee Mixer (September 7th, approximately 1:30-3pm)
- Attend B4E Retreat at LUREC if available (Friday to Sunday, October 18-20, 2019)
- Attend B4E & LUCES Mentor Mid-Year Check-In Luncheon (December 2, 2019)
- Attend Mentor Appreciation Lunch (January 27, 2020)
- Attend Celebration of Brotherhood (April 23, 2020)
*Dates for all B4E programming will be given at Mentor Orientation & Training
Upon agreeing to participate in the Brothers for Excellence Program as Faculty/Staff Mentor I agree to:
- Make a one year commitment to being matched with my mentee(s).
- Meet my mentee(s) at mutually agreed upon times at least once a month.
- Be on time for scheduled meetings and events.
- Notify B4E staff and mentees at least 24 hours in advance if I will not be able to attend an event or meeting.
- Inform B4E staff if any difficulties or concerns arise throughout the duration of the mentor/mentee relationship.