2019 Seizing Opportunities for Academic Resilience (SOAR) Application
The Department of Student Diversity & Multicultural Affairs (SDMA) welcomes you to Loyola University Chicago!
On behalf of SDMA, I’d like to invite you to apply to SOAR – Seizing Opportunities for Academic Resilience - a four-day transition program offered to new first-year and transfer students of color and/or first-generation* students in late August. Through learning about the transition to college, gaining tools, sharing stories about personal & academic success, SOAR will provide you the opportunity to build meaningful relationships with peers, current students, and staff. The program takes place Sunday-Thursday, August 18-22, 2019 and the priority application deadline is Friday,June 14. To learn more, visit the SDMA website at www.luc.edu/diversity. Note: there are no fees required to participate in SOAR as this program is made available free of charge to eligible students.
We look forward to welcoming you in person during the summer or when you begin classes at Loyola this fall. Be sure to contact us with questions about SOAR and other ways to get involved. You can come by the SDMA office in the Damen Student Center, Suite 116 or call our main line at (773) 508-3909 to schedule an appointment.
Why Should I Participate in SOAR?
- By connecting with campus resources and other new students prior to the start of classes, students are more likely to feel that navigating life at Loyola is manageable.
- Students in the SOAR program excel academically and find access to leadership opportunities in their first two years of college:
- The average cumulative GPA for students after their first year at Loyola was 3.2 (out of 4.0)
- Program participants have been hired as Peer Mentors, Orientation Leaders, Resident Assistants, and Wellness Center Advocates (to name a few)
- Two students from the Class of 2019 were recipients of Loyola Presidential Scholarships in recognition of their civic engagement, leadership, and academic success
- One graduating senior from the Class of 2018 has been admitted to a top-ranked nursing Ph.D. program!
Please read and review the following:
- Final Application Deadline has been extended to Friday, June 28 by 11:59 p.m. CST
- Up to 35 students will be selected to participate in SOAR.
- All SOAR participants are expected to apply and participate in one of SDMA's mentorship programs - Students Together Are Reaching Success (STARS), Loyola University Chicago Empowering Sisterhood (LUCES), Brothers for Excellence - during their first year at Loyola.
- Students living residentially on-campus during the 2019-2020 academic year will be granted permission to move in early if selected to participate in the SOAR program.
- A Parent & Family Orientation will take place on Sunday, August 18, to welcome all students and guest(s) to the SOAR program. More details will be shared with all selected SOAR participants. This is REQUIRED for all student participants, but not mandatory for parents, guardians, and family.
- Participants must be present for all four days of the program.
- Other key application dates
- June 21 - students who applied by June 14 priority deadline will receive notice of their selection or status
- July 1 - all applicants will receive notice of their selection or status with the SOAR program
- July 8 - deadline to accept or decline admission to the SOAR program
- July 9 - students on a wait list will receive notice of their admission (if applicable)
For more information on SDMA mentorship programs, please click below:
- Brothers for Excellence (B4E) - open to incoming first-year or transfer Men of Color students
- Loyola University Chicago Empowering Sisterhood (LUCES) - open to incoming first-year or transfer Women of Color students
- Students Together Are Reaching Success (STARS) - open to incoming first year Students of Color and/or First Generation students. (Transfer students cannot apply to STARS).