Ramblers Analyzing Whiteness (R.A.W.) Application 2017-2018
R.A.W. creates a space on campus for White students (and/or bi-racial and multi-racial students with White heritage) to engage in dialogue about their own racial identity. Through a series of seven workshops, 25 students who self-identify as White individuals, and/or bi-racial and multi-racial individuals, will delve into conversation, activities and reflection on racial identity development, racial justice, and strategies to employ for anti-racist, anti-supremacist allyship. Aimed to further knowledge, awareness, and skills, R.A.W . provides a space for White-identified students to begin the journey of operating in solidarity with others and their privilege. R.A.W. is an affinity group for White students who have passion for ending racism and White supremacy, who have confusion about institutional and internalized racism, and who have questions about race that they are afraid to ask. It is a place for White identified individuals to examine what it means to be White in the U.S., to critically reflect on themselves and their actions, and to work to identify and confront racism and White supremacy in schools, in society, and at Loyola University Chicago.
Application deadline is Monday, September 25, 2017 by 5 pm. This application has 3 short sections to complete. Please answer each question to the best of your abilities. Keep in mind that we are looking to develop 2 cohorts of students, scheduled for two different days of the week, with varying experiences and understanding of power, privilege, and oppression. We welcome students with little exposure to concepts of White privilege, White Supremacy, and racial justice to students who are active Allies in their communities. All applicants will receive email confirmation that their application was received within one business day after they apply.
The requirements to apply for this program are: you must self-identify as White (or bi-racial and multi-racial with White heritage) and you must be able to attend all workshops for either cohort 1 or cohort 2, to the best of your ability, as only two excused absences will be allowed.
REQUIREMENT 1: YOU MUST SELF-IDENTIFY AS WHITE. White as a racial/ethnic category is difficult to define as there is no one accurate definition for this racial/ethnic category. The definition and social significance of White has changed throughout history. You may also identify as bi-racial and/or multi-racial, where you may come from a mixed-race, mixed-heritage family where some members identify as White. Bi-racial and/or multi-racial students are more than welcome to apply for R.A.W. If you identify as bi-racial and/or multi-racial, please know that the R.A.W. experience will focus primarily on the exploration of Whiteness. Should you have more questions about White as a racial/ethnic category, and/or whether you are eligible for R.A.W., please email Naseeb Bhangal at email@example.com and/or read: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mtv-white-people_us_55a6b116e4b04740a3dec084 OR http://www.sunypress.edu/p-5861-good-white-people.aspx
REQUIREMENT 2: YOU MUST BE ABLE TO ATTEND ALL WORKSHOPS for either cohort 1 or cohort 2, which are located on the Lakeshore Campus. Workshops will be held on both Wednesday (3-5 PM) and Thursday (6-8 PM) on the following dates. Dialogue spaces are optional for cohort members as additional opportunities to go deeper into topics. Absences from workshops will be considered on a case-by-case basis and priority will be given to academic-related absences:
COHORT 1--Wednesdays from 3-5 PM:
- Wednesday, October 18, 2017 | Workshop #1 (REQUIRED)
- Wednesday, October 25, 2017 | Dialogue #1
- Wednesday, November 1, 2017 | Workshop #2 (REQUIRED)
- Wednesday, November 8, 2017 | Dialogue #2
- Wednesday, November 15, 2017 | Workshop #3 (REQUIRED)
- Wednesday, January 24, 2018 | Workshop #4 (REQUIRED)
- Wednesday, January 31, 2018 | Workshop #5 (REQUIRED)
- Wednesday, February 7, 2018 | Dialogue #3
- Wednesday, February 14, 2018 | Workshop #6 (REQUIRED)
- Wednesday, February 21, 2018 | Dialogue #4
- Wednesday, February 28, 2018 | Workshop #7 (REQUIRED)
COHORT 2--Thursdays from 6-8 PM:
- Thursday, October 19, 2017 | Workshop #1 (REQUIRED)
- Thursday, October 26, 2017 | Dialogue #1
- Thursday, November 2, 2017 | Workshop #2 (REQUIRED)
- Thursday, November 9, 2017 | Dialogue #2
- Thursday, November 16, 2017 | Workshop #3 (REQUIRED)
- Thursday, January 25, 2018 | Workshop #4 (REQUIRED)
- Thursday, February 1, 2018 | Workshop #5 (REQUIRED)
- Thursday, February 8, 2018 | Dialogue #3
- Thursday, February 15, 2018 | Workshop #6 (REQUIRED)
- Thursday, February 22, 2018 | Dialogue #4
- Thursday, March 1, 2018 | Workshop #7 (REQUIRED)
**Please consider whether cohort 1 or cohort 2 will be more suitable for your schedule. You will be prompted to choose one in the application.
If you have any questions or complications please email Naseeb Bhangal at firstname.lastname@example.org
(Pictured above is the 2016-17 R.A.W. Cohort)