STARS Mentee Application 2016-2017
The Department of Student Diversity and Multicultural Affairs (SDMA) Welcomes you to Loyola University Chicago!
We are excited you're interested in Joining the STARS Mentorship Program. We believe this will be a valuable experience and resource for you as you begin your journey here at Loyola University Chicago. As you may know our department offers 3 Mentorship experiences such as STARS (a program for First generation and/or Students of Color, co-ed), LUCES Mentorship Program (LMP is a program for Women of Color), and Brothers for Excellence (B4E is a program for Men of Color). This year students will only be able to apply for 1 mentorship experience. By doing this, our department seeks to better serve the needs of each mentorship program and increase opportunities for students to find the right mentorship family. Before you apply, please read and review the SDMA Mentorship Participation Guidelines.
What is STARS?
Students Together Are Reaching Suceess (STARS) is a undergraduate mentorship program designed for First Generation college students and/or Students of Color. Students will be matched with a peer mentor who has successfully navigated Loyola someone who has already engaged with STARS as a past mentee.
As a mentee of STARS you will have the opportunity to live out your personal and academic goals and discover your strengths, talents, and passions with the support and guidance of your peers and other SDMA staff. In addition to the goals of STARS, this program provides monthly social gatherings, retreats, and leadership summits.
What am I Expected to do for STARS?
STARS hosts a total of 11 programs through out the academic year. By being selected to participate in the program, Mentees are expect to attend the following monthly events. Please review the dates below and add them to your academic planner.
- STARS Orientation - Sat. September 3, 2016, 12:00pm - 5:00pm (Lunch Provided)
- STARS September Gathering - Fri. September 30, 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- SDMA Mentorship Movie Night - Tue. October 4, 7:00pm - 9:00pm
- STARS October Gathering - Fri. October 14, 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- STARS November Gathering - Fri. November 18, 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- Desserts in December - Fri. December 2, 5:30pm - 7:30pm
- Mentor Appreciation Lunch - Mon. January 30, 11:00am - 2:00pm
- STARS February Retreat - Fri.-Sun. February 3-5 at LUREC (Off Campus)
- SDMA Leadership Summit - Sat. March 18, 9:00am - 5:00pm
- STARS March Gathering - Fri. March 31, 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- STARS Banquet - Fri. April 14, 5:00pm - 7:00pm (Formal Dinner)
If you want to be a STARS Mentee you are committing to fully engaging in the program and attending all mandatory programs listed above. Once you are selected for this program, STARS will provide you with a Mentee Contract and Program Calendar that outlines the dates and additional opportunities for community building and support.
Additional Information :
- Priority Application Deadline is Monday, August 1 by 12noon (strongly encouraged if you want to be considered for the program)
- Final Application Deadline is Monday, August 15 by 12noon
- SDMA provides overarching guidelines for all Mentee participants. Click here, to review this document as it highlights the expectations of all Mentees.
- Click here, to visit our website for more information on STARS.