ECU WRITES Leadership Team Application Spring 2016
ECU WRITES is a student-led program within the Volunteer and Service-Learning Center (VSLC). ECU WRITES is a signature program supported by the VSLC. The mission of the Volunteer and Service-Learning Center) at East Carolina University, in partnership with local, regional, and international communities, seeks to foster an environment where individuals learn about themselves and their community, take action through service, and advocate for lasting social change.
ECU WRITES Mission: To improve literacy skills and foster long lasting mentorship with the youth in Pitt County. ECU Volunteers will serve as role models, mentors and develop a friendship with Elementary school staff and students through weekly pen pal letters. These letters will help to improve the grammar, handwriting, reading comprehension, and overall literacy skills of Pitt County youth through reading, writing, and mentorship.
The ECU WRITES Leadership Team will consist of one ECU WRITES Coordinator and six ECU WRITES Co-Lead Coordinators. Leadership is a relational process of inspiring, empowering and influencing positive change. The expectations for ECU WRITES Leadership Team include but are not limited to:
- Plan, implement, and manage the ECU WRITES program.
- Develop ECU WRITES Service Action Plans for the full academic year.
- Recruit, train, and manage volunteers for ECU WRITES.
- Develop and manage marketing efforts for ECU WRITES OrgSync Portal, marketing materials and VSLC website.
- Assist in service and leadership program evaluation and assessment of for specific VSLC student-led program.
- Coordinate and attend weekly meetings and on-going programs.
- Provide ongoing feedback and communication for ECU WRITES throughout the semester with VSLC Advisor
- Represent ECU and the VSLC both on and off-campus throughout the year.
ECU WRITES Leadership Team Weekly Duties: As a Co-Lead for ECU Writes you must value and commit to service, leadership, social justice and creating positive social change through service with our community. Your duties include but are not limited to:
- Communicate and coordinate with community partners
- Recruit members at recruitment events
- Plan and implement orientations for volunteers
- Pair volunteers with elementary students
- Deliver letters to community partners (VSLC staff may help with that)
- Sort letters into their correct folders
- Proof read volunteer letters
- Make up missed letters by volunteers
- Approve hours made by volunteers
- Attend weekly leadership meetings
- Update rosters on Orgsync
- Communicate and coordinate with VSLC advisor (Nichelle Shuck)
- Communicate with volunteers via Orgsync and e-mail
- Maintain the ECU Writes Portal on Orgsync
- Keep the VSLC office clean and supplies stocked for volunteers
If you have any questions about the Volunteer and Service-Learning Center signature programs please contact the ECU WRITES Advisor, Victoria Barfield at ROYALLA10@students.ecu.edu