Random Acts of Kindness Week
Feb 18, 2015 by Caytes (CJ) Liley
UCCS faculty, staff and students will celebrate Random Acts of Kindness week across campus Feb. 16 – 20.
The Office of the Dean of Students and the Office of Student Activities, in partnership with the Department of Dining and Food Services, UCCS Live, the UCCS Bookstore, Office of Student Financial Aid and the Chancellor’s Leadership Class, will host a number of events throughout the week to spread kindness and build a feeling of community across campus.
According to Amanda Allee, director of student and judicial affairs, Office of the Dean of Students, the goal is for students, faculty and staff to step out of their normal routine and comfort zone and attempt a new random act of kindness throughout the week.
“We tend to think of service in our community as something physical,” Allee said. “We want to spread the idea that little acts of kindness – like holding the door open for people or buying the person behind you in line a cup of coffee – can help contribute to the overall happiness of campus.”
Schedule events include:
- Monday, Feb 16: The UCCS Dining and Food Services will randomly distribute coupons for free coffee, the UCCS Bookstore will randomly give away gift certificates, and the Office of Financial Aid will hand out chocolate gold coins
- Tuesday, Feb. 17: The Office of Student Activities will cook free pancakes in the University Center, as well as distribute post cards including ideas for random acts of kindness. Clyde will also wander campus taking photos with students, faculty and staff.
- Wednesday, Feb. 18: The Chancellor’s Leadership Class is hosting a Thankathon where they collect thank you cards to recognize staff members across campus. The UCCS Greek community will distribute candy across campus.
- Tuesday – Thursday, Feb. 17 – 19: UCCS Live will be on El Pomar Plaza between 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. distributing flowers, cards and candy to passersby.
- Friday, Feb. 20: Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to contribute their own random acts of kindness.
Participants and recipients should share their experience on social media using the hashtag #UCCSPayItForward.