October UCCS Blood Drive - October 25th in UC 116
Oct 19, 2016 by Clyde The Mountain Lion
It’s easy to become a blood donor. Individuals who are in good health and can meet the general eligibility criteria are likely able to donate. If you were deferred from donating in the past, you may be able to donate again.
As part of our commitment to safety, blood donors must meet certain requirements to give blood. Prior to scheduling an appointment to give blood, review the eligibility requirements and prescreening questions. The guidelines listed below are not all-inclusive and are subject to change.
If you have any questions regarding your eligibility, please contact Bonfils’ Donor Relations department at 303.363.2202 or 800.365.0006, opt. 1.
Basic Requirements: http://bonfils.org/index.cfm/donate-blood/donor-pre-screening-questions
- Must be at least 18 years of age or 16 or 17 with written parental or guardian acknowledgement.
- Weigh at least 115 pounds; if greater than 350 pounds, please call Bonfils’ Appointment Center at 303.363.2300 or 800.365.0006, opt. 2.
- For your safety and to ensure a positive donation experience Bonfils recommends that prior to your donation you eat within 2 hours and hydrate for 24-48 hours. If you would like something to eat or drink before your donation please help yourself to the items in the canteen area.
- Be in good general health.
- Proof of identification is required at time of donation. Examples include but are not limited to: driver’s license, work badge, school ID, credit card, mail, etc.
- The donation interval after a whole blood donation is 56 days. Please contact Bonfils Blood Center for the specific interval for other blood product donations.
- You should not be under the influence of alcohol or recreational drugs at the time of donation.
While you are at it, increase your impact in the community by simply asking someone to join you. If you or someone you know may be interested in giving, please go to donors.bonfils.org, and at the bottom of the “Search for a donation site or blood drive” box, use the site code A390, and “Choose” the time that works best for you or contact me, Morgan Dunmire at (720)683-9638 or Morgan_Dunmire@Bonfils.org with your preferred 1 hour window and I will confirm your appointment. If you would like to find a blood drive closer to you, please email or call/text me. Walk-in donors are welcome and will be worked around scheduled appointments as space allows!
For general information about eligibility, please take a look at the Pre-Screening Questions and the Zika Virus Notice, or go to Bonfils Eligibility page. You can also contact Bonfils’ Donor Relations department at (800)365-0006, ext. 1. 16 and 17 year olds can donate with Parental Acknowledgement. (Parents do not have to attend the blood drive, but are more than welcome!)
Please be sure to bring a proof of identification at the time of donation; I.D. must have first and last name, but does not have to have photo. Examples include but are not limited to: driver’s license, work/military badge, school ID, credit card, mail, business cards, etc.
Looking for community service hours? One whole blood donation takes about one hour, but is worth 2 hours of community service. Help promote the blood drive and receive 2 hours of community service per pre-screened donor registered.