Setting up a Bank Account
More in-depth look into bank accounts is coming soon! For additional details please contact the Office of Student Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.
These are general guidelines for creating or managing a student organizational bank account. Note that each bank is different, so their policies might require more or less documentation.
Starting a bank account or creating an EIN:
- Must provide a federal tax identification number. Most groups obtain this by competing an Employer ID number with the IRS. Visit www.irs.gov and search for “EIN” for the most current process.
- Can be completed over the phone (800-829-4933) or online
- You will [functionally] be completing a SS-4 form; a sample of the form & questions asked is shown below.
- Complete questions 1-10
- Use the address on the sample so mail/statements will come to your student organization's mailbox in the Office of Student Life (1110 Kirkhof Center)
- Make sure the name listed exactly matches the official name on OrgSync
- Typically, the president or financial officer sign the form; if completed over the phone, a social security number will be required for verification purposes
- Once complete, submit a copy of your EIN statement/paperwork to the Office of Student Life (1110 Kirkhof Center) for your group's permanent file. You will also need to include this information on OrgSync in your organization profile.
- Provide a copy of your constitution/bylaws or articles of incorporation
- Provide meeting minutes identifying all current officers
Renewing a bank account or changing signatures for the account
- Varies widely per bank, so check with your bank directly
SS-4 Example Document