Outstanding Freshman/Valkyries Award 2014
About the Award
This award is presented to freshman who have demonstrated outstanding service, leadership and academic achievement and who are committed to serving the university community.
Ten awards are available. Nominees will be solicited from deans, department heads, faculty, staff, coaches, and students. Self-nominations are also accepted. All information regarding nominees and how they are rated is kept confidential.
Nominees must have at lease a 3.0 cumulative GPA for their undergraduate studies and have completed at least 25 credits by May 2014 to qualify for the award. This award is intended to acknowledge students who are in their first year at the University of Idaho.
Full-time undergraduate students may be nominated for the award by faculty, administrators, staff and other students or may nominate themselves.
There are five steps in the application process.
1. Complete the on-line application form. Click the green button below that reads “Begin Form” (you must include the student's contact information).
2. Upload a personal statement or recommendation statement (limit two pages) addressing how you/or the nominee have demonstrated the following:
- Academic achievement
- Participation in on-campus and off-campus activities
- Leadership experience
- Commitment to serving others
- Any additional information pertinent to the award
3. Upload/Submit a letter of recommendation from a UI faculty or staff member
If you are self-nominating: (You will need a letter of recommendation) the suggested method is to have the recommender (either a UI faculty or staff member) email you a signed copy of the letter, and then you can upload it to this website. If the recommender would prefer to give you a sealed letter, please bring the letter to the Department of Student Involvement, Commons 302. Make sure to write the name of the nominee and the award they are being nominated for on the front of the envelope.
4. Submit the application form.
- Idaho Commons & Student Union Director or designee
- Dean of Students Office representative
- University Housing Director or designee
- Director of Fraternity &Sorority Life or designee
- Student representative
- ASUI President or designee
Applications of the Outstanding Freshman/Valkyries Award winners are forwarded to the selection committee for the Dean Vettrus Scholarship.
If you'd like, you can download a blank PDF version of this form.