Jeannie Eva Hughes Multicultural Student Leadership Award 2014
About the award:
In 1899 Jeannie Eva Hughes became the first African American student to graduate from the University of Idaho. This award was named in her honor and will be given to two students who have shown genuine concern and interest towards multicultural issues and have worked on behalf of multiculturalism on campus.
This award is available to all full-time undergraduates.
Full-time undergraduate students may be nominated for the award by faculty, administrators, staff and other students or may nominate themselves. There are five steps in the application process.
1. Complete the on-line application form. Click the green button below that reads “Begin Form” (you must include the student's contact information).
2. Upload a personal statement or recommendation statement (limit two pages) addressing how you/or the nominee have demonstrated the following:
- Level of commitment, service, concern and interest to the local multicultural community
- Innovation to developing and enhancing multicultural programs and/or services
- Contribution to greater understanding and awareness related to multicultural affairs within the multicultural community and the larger community.
3. Upload/Submit a letter of recommendation from a UI faculty or staff member
If you are self-nominating: (You will need a letter of recommendation) the suggested method is to have the recommender (either a UI faculty or staff member) email you a signed copy of the letter, and then you can upload it to this website. If the recommender would prefer to give you a sealed letter, please bring the letter to the Department of Student Involvement, Commons 302. Make sure to write the name of the nominee and the award they are being nominated for on the front of the envelope.
4. Submit the application form.
Director of Student Engagement or designee
Office of Multicultural Affairs Director
Dean of Students representative
Multicultural Student Recruiter or New Student Services representative
If you'd like, you can download a blank PDF version of this form.