50 Years In Fort Wayne College Chalk Walk Registration
Ivy Tech Fort Wayne 50th Year College Chalk Walk is a unique opportunity to watch artists draw their work right on the Ivy Tech North Campus sidewalk in between Harshman Hall & Student Life Center!
- WHO: Artists - Students, Staff, Faculty, Student Organizations, Community Members
- WHAT: 50th Anniversary College Chalk Walk
- WHEN: September 9, 2019
- WHERE: Ivy Tech North Campus – Between Harshman Hall & Student Life Center
- September 8: Early check-in and square planning and initial chalking – starting @ 12pm
- September 9: Chalking begins as early as artists want to start, prizes awarded at 4pm*
Judging takes place at 4pm on Monday. The Chalk Walk WILL take place RAIN or SHINE with back up rain locations inside.
Square Registration Info & Deadlines:
2'x2' Personal square or Ivy Tech department or organization square: Ivy Tech student, staff, faculty members, as well has any community member, not representing a company or organization.
- Free – Register by September 3 – includes free 24ct pastels and tempera paint available for use at check-in
- $5 - Register on-site September 8 includes free 24ct pastels and tempera paint available for use at check-i
4’x4’ Commercial/Corporate square (may incorporate company logos, designs, names, etc.)
- $50 – Register by September 3 – includes free 48ct pastels and tempera paint available for use at check in
$50 visa gift card & trophy to winners in following categories:
All entries will receive an Ivy Tech 50th anniversary commemorative t-shirt and license plate cover.
- Best 50th theme
- Most Realistic
- People’s Choice
Rules of participation:
- Only NON oil-based pastels are to be used.
- Ivy Tech reserves the right to deem any subject matter as inappropriate for this all-ages, event. Inappropriate subject matter includes hateful political statements, political campaign/endorsement messages, commercial advertisement (statements or logos by non-sponsoring organizations) or subject matter not suitable for children.
Chalk Walk artists that create squares with any of the following subject matter may be asked to stop and/or paint over their square:
- Violence, pornography, or blood and gore
- Hateful imagery or inflammatory messages toward any individual or groups of people
- Non-Ivy Tech Logos, websites, or commercial messages in any non-sponsored square.
Tips for a great Chalk Walk:
- Kneepads or a cushion of some kind is highly recommended.
- Commercial "sidewalk chalk" is not recommended for detailed drawing on pavement. You may purchase additional pastels online or from hobby or art stores.
- Artists may consider laying down a thin layer of watered down tempera paint as a background to the design. This fills in some of the cement holes and allows you to produce your work using less chalk. You may also use a light color to sketch in the design before beginning to color in the image. Sketching the design first helps to insure the image is accurate and proportional. Additional pastels can be purchased just about anywhere that art or educational supplies are sold. Madison Chautauqua will have a limited amount of pastels available for purchase during the event.
- Create an image that you will be able to complete and have fun with during the day of the Chalk Walk. You will want to be able to move around to see all the other artists at work, but if you have too much detail you may not be able to get away from your work.
Have fun and be prepared to leave covered with chalk!