Student Awards presented by the Office of the Dean of Students
Submit a nomination before March 1, 2014 Read carefully for changes in the submission process!
- self nominations will be given priority in the selection process but anyone can submit a nomination for another person
2014 Student Award General Information
Each year the University of Louisville recognizes the achievements made by our students, student organizations, and advisers. These awards are an opportunity for our community to come together to celebrate the accomplishments of our talented students, not just the winner but all the nominees.
Completing the Nomination Forms
Event/Program Nominators: You are encouraged to submit nominations immediately following completion of your programs. No need to wait until the deadline.
Nominations are reviewed by a selection committee. Nominations will be evaluated based on the criteria listed for each award. To be considered all forms and letters must be completed in a professional manner. Supporting documentation is strongly encouraged for a competitive submission. Length is not as important as quality –provide specifics as to how your nomination meets the award criteria. Committee decisions are final and will not be announced until the awards ceremony.
NOTE: Submissions that are incomplete and/or do not contain all required documentation will NOT be considered.
General Criteria for All Awards - Read carefully!
- Individuals and organizations must be in good standing with University of Louisville and the RSO office as well as all students must be currently enrolled in classes or involved in a co-op /internship.
- All students should have a 2.5 or better cumulative GPA unless noted otherwise. GPAs will be verified through PeopleSoft.
- Students and student organizations may self nominate for more than one award.
- Students and student organizations will only be recognized for one award for the award period with the exception of the Outstanding New Organization and the Student Organization of the Year.
- Previous year’s recipients are not eligible to receive the same award two years in a row.
- A nomination form must be submitted for each award for which the person and organization wish to be considered.
- Recommendation/support letters should clearly state the person and organization they are being submitted for. Late submissions will not be accepted and the deadline will not be extended.
- We cannot commit to keeping nominations a surprise. Each nominee for an individual student award will be required to complete an online waiver form to give permission to verify eligibility for the awards. It is expected that all nominees are available to attend the awards ceremony. Nominators are strongly encouraged to attend as well.
To submit a nomination for an award:
- Spirit of Service (Individual)
- Spirit of Service (Group)
- Spirit of Diversity (Individual)
- Spirit of Diversity (Group)
- Spirit of Community (Individual)
- Spirit of Community (Project)
- Student Employee of the Year
- Cardinal Award of Excellence - Scholar/Volunteer
- Cardinal Award of Excellence - Scholar/Leader
- Outstanding Graduate/Professional Student Award
- Outstanding Senior Award
- Outstanding Junior Award
- Outstanding Sophomore Award
- Outstanding Freshman Award
- Adviser of the Year
- Organization of the Year
- New Organization of the Year
- Outstanding Program of the Year
- Outstanding New Program of the Year
- Collaboration Award
THE NOMINATION PERIOD FOR 2014 is open all year round. The awards are given for the period of March 1, 2013- February 28, 2014. Completed nomination forms must be submitted online at by 5:00 p.m. on March 1, 2014.
Note: Only complete submissions will be considered. If an award requires certain documentation, these must be submitted by the deadline.
The Awards Extravaganza and Reception
The 14th Annual UofL Student Awards will be held on Thursday, April 17, 2014 at the Student Activities Center Multipurpose Room. The program will begin at 7:00 p.m. with the reception to follow.
Nominees and applicants will receive invitations to the ceremony, and the event is open to all who wish to attend. Friends, family, and organization members are encouraged to attend but it is up to nominees and/or nominators to invite them..
If you have any questions regarding the awards, please feel free to contact the Student Involvement Office at 852-6691.