Managing a Student Organization Budget
Aug 16, 2014 by Colleen Pace
Each organization is responsible for keeping track of it's own budget. All information about your budget is housed within your portal on TritonSync.
To view the budget:
- Go to Your Organization's Portal >>More>>Treasury>>Manage Checkbooks
- There you will see your SABC Allocation for the 2014-2015 academic year. You may also have a beginning balance if your organization had revenue carryover from 2013-2014.
- Click 2014 - 2015 SABC Budget to see the breakdown of your allocation and any expenses
To Manage the budget:
Please note: All members of the portal can view the organization's budget. Only members that are part of the "Officers" group in your portal will have access to create transactions.
- Any time your organization is going to make a purchase, travel, or use funds for an event, a transaction must be created within Checkbooks in your portal.
- To create a transaction go to More>>Treasury>>Manage Checkbooks>>2014-2015 SABC Budget
- Click the green "Create Entry" button on the right hand side of the screen
- Add a description of your transaction and the dollar amount spent/deposited. Be sure to make expenses negative (ex: -150.00).
5. Click "Create" and your budget will reflect the transaction
Negative transactions will appear red and your new budget balance will appear to the right-hand side.
6. Student Life staff members will verify transactions with the account balance.
- Create a transaction any time you fill out a Program Supply Request, Travel Itinerary Form, Reimbursement Form, request a room that will cost, order from Sodexo, or deposit funds in to your account. This will keep you and your organization members up to date on your account balance at all times.
- Be sure to add any revenue deposits as well as expenses.
- Money is taken from the SABC Budget before it is taken from the Beginning Balance, however, be sure to stay up to date with both checkbooks just in case.
- Be descriptive when entering your transactions, this will help Student Life staff and others understand the transaction history.
- You have access to your budget 24 hours a day 7 days a week, keeping it up to date is simple and important for your organization's health.