Spring 2019 Weekend ASB: Community Cancer Services Participant Application
READ THIS PAGE IN FULL BEFORE APPLYING
April 12-14: Community Cancer Services, Sandpoint, ID -- APPLICATION DUE: Sun. March 24th, at 11:59pm
Since 2002, Community Cancer Services has worked to improve access to medical resources, spread information about public health in rural communities, and provided emotional support for individuals who have been affected by cancer. University of Idaho students will volunteer at one of CSS’s largest annual fundraisers, “The Mad Hatter Tea Party,” and hear the stories of survivors whose lives have been forever shaped by the staff at CCS.
Welcome to the Weekend Alternative Service Break (ASB) application. You may start to fill it out and save it to come back and finish later (only if you are logged into your VandalSync account).
The Alternative Service Break (ASB) Program offers students the opportunity to develop as leaders on a local, regional, national and global level. The ASB program encourages learning and critical thinking through hands-on service, community involvement, civic and social justice education. These trips can be extremely transformative experiences for students.
We hold high expectations for participants and also ask them to have high expectations for themselves. If selected you will be part of a very small group of people with the opportunity to participate in a remarkable experience.
Applicants should consider the following when applying:
- While rewarding, you may experience situations that are unfamiliar and possibly uncomfortable for you. You will work hard, get your hands dirty, sweat a lot and be challenged physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.
- The ASB program is open to all University of Idaho full-time, fee-paying students. There is NO COST to participate for full-time, undergraduate student. The cost to participate is based on trip cost (~$100) for a graduate student.
- Service activities may involve an element of risk.
- The Center for Volunteerism and Social Action will provide a faculty/staff advisor and one student leader for each team; however, students are empowered to make wise decisions in regards to their own safety and the safety of others.
- Pre and post trip meeting attendance is mandatory and absences will not be accepted. If you miss any meeting, we reserve the right to replace your spot with another student.
- Alcohol consumption is prohibited during Weekend ASB for all participants (whether or not you are of legal drinking age). Your actions on this trip will not only reflect on you, but also the ASB program and the University of Idaho.
- Mandatory meetings/events will occur on:
- Community Cancer Services, Sandpoint, ID -- Pre Meetings: 4/4, 4/11
- Process Details: Due to the high number of applicants, Weekend ASB applications are placed in a lottery and selected randomly to increase equity. The ASB leadership team will do everything it can to keep you informed of the process. We hope to notify all applicants within 2-3 business days of the application deadline.