Need help with figuring out People & updating Officers in OrgSync?
Mar 6, 2014 by Renee Talamantez
The ‘People’ module allows you to manage users in your portal with ease. Segment people into groups based on their responsibilities and interests. To access the 'People' module, select it along your portal's left-hand toolbar. If you do not see this module, read this article on how to enable it.
When first accessing the ‘People’ module, you are presented with a scrollable list of every user in your portal. By default, this list is sorted by first name but you can click the ‘Sort’ button to sort by last name or login date. As an administrator, the right side of the page will populate with three items, which are detailed below.
- Invite Users: Invite users to join your organization via email. Simply enter the email addresses of the users you’d like to join. You are also provided the option to enter a supplemental message and choose what group they should be added to upon accepting the submission. Scroll down on this page to view all your existing invitations. Note: you can only resend an invitation once every three days.
- Download Roster: Download your portal’s roster into an excel spreadsheet. This will include each user’s basic profile, associated groups, and additional information.
- Join Requests: If your portal allows users to request to join, all join requests will filter to this section on the page. Each join request will include the user’s message (if filled out) and the option to approve or deny it.
To view more information about a user, select their name along the scrollable list. Utilize the search box to easily locate a specific person. After clicking on their name, their profile will populate the right side of the page. Here, you’ll be provided the option to message the user, and view their personal information. This will include their last login date and the groups they are a part of. You can also select the 'Memberships' tab to view the user’s other associations.
As an administrator, you are provided several user management tools, all of which are described below.
- Enter a title: Located under the user’s name, enter a title for each user. This is most commonly used to display the user’s position with the organization.
- Manage: Next to the ‘Groups’ section on each user’s profile, you are provided a ‘Manage’ button. This button allows you to add and remove users from the groups that exist within your portal. Click on a group from this list to add the user and re-click a group with a checkmark next to it to remove the user.
- Delete User From Portal: Located below each user’s profile, this button allows you to completely remove users from your portal.
- Permissions tab: This additional tab found atop each user’s profile provides you the ability to assign administrative access to a user for specific modules. Click the checkbox next to a module to set the permission. If a box is greyed out next to a module, this means the user already has administrative access for that module based on the groups they are a part of. Click here to read more about the permissions tab.
Actions can also be performed on multiple users at one time. To do this, select a user, hold down shift, and select a new user. This will include the two users you selected and everyone in between. To select multiple users but not everyone in between, select a user, hold down control (or command), and select a new user. After doing so, you’ll be provided the option to channel communication to these users, add them to a new group, or remove them from a particular group or the portal in its entirety.
One of the most powerful tools within the ‘People’ module is the ability to create groups. By combining people into groups, you can customize their permission settings and effectively target communications. To view the existing groups in your portal, click the ‘All People’ button in the top left of the page. On the resulting dropdown, you are provided the name and number of people within each group.
Select a group from the list to view its description and included members. As an administrator, you will see the group management tools populate the right side of the page. These tools are described in detail below.
- Set Group Name & Description: Click the pencil icon to edit the group’s name and description.
- Send Message to Group: Channel communication to members of the selected group.
- Add People to Group: Select users to add into the group.
- Private Group: Clicking this checkbox will hide the group from all users that are not administrators or members of the group.
- Officers Group: Clicking this checkbox denotes the group is comprised of your organization’s officers. These people may receive messages from your school administrators and can be utilized on the website builder’s 'Officers' module, which can be read about here.
To create a new group, click the top-left button on the ‘People’ page to initiate the groups dropdown. Next, click the green ‘Create a Group’ button, fill in the name, and hit enter on your keyboard. After doing so, it's important to establish the permission levels for future members of the group. To learn more about this process, check out the following article- Assigning permissions to groups in a portal.