Franklin Elementary Pen Friends (CCE TRANSPORTATION PROVIDED)
WSU volunteers will get the opportunity to work one-on-one with 1st graders helping them read and write letters to correspondents.The objective of this letter exchange program is for young learners to practice proper writing, reading, grammar and penmanship.
Ages of Children/Youth:
1st grade, ages 6-7
- Contact: Students must contact Claire or Kaylee after registering for this opportunity to work out the details of getting started with your service. They can be reached at email@example.com or 509-335-7707.
- Application: Not required
- Background check: YOU MUST COMPLETE A Pullman School District BACKGROUND CHECK AND RETURN IT TO THE CCE MAIN OFFICE (CUB L48) AT LEAST 4 BUSINESS DAYS PRIOR TO THE PROJECT. If you do not have your background application returned before the day of your project, you will not be able to go into the classroom.
- Orientation: Not required.
- Other: Students must dress appropriately for working with children and teachers indoors and outdoors. Be sure to ask if there are any specific dress code requirements.
CCE transportation is provided. Please meet in the CCE Student Resource Center located in the CUB Lower Level L45 at 10:00AM to meet with your group. We plan to return to campus around 12:15AM.
This service project is ongoing throughout the semester (September-December). Mentoring for this classroom is on Fridays from 10:15AM-12:00PM unless otherwise noted. Feel free to sign up for every week!
Service Hours: Service hours are allocated based on amount of direct service participation and do not include meeting time and transportation to/from the service site. Students can expect to receive 1.75 hours for service.
Inclusivity: The CCE strives to sponsor activities that are accessible to all students. If you need accommodations to fully access the activities offered through the Center for Civic Engagement, please contact Jessica Perone, Community Programs Coordinator, at 509-335-4609 or firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week prior to the activity.