New Broncho & Parent Orientation Leader Application
Broncho Orientation Leaders (BOLs) and Parent Orientation Leaders (POLs) are undergraduate students who play an integral role in introducing new students and their families to Central by serving as mentors and sharing their experiences as successful students. In August, BOLs and POLs assist our incoming students and their families in a variety of capacities, all to make the newest members of our community excited and prepared to come to UCO. BOLs and POLs work in collaboration with each other, Campus Activities and Events professional staff, faculty, and other University administrators to ensure new students have a positive orientation experience.
Broncho Orientation Leaders will work with incoming first-year students during two day-long orientations and Stampede Week. They will interact in small groups with these students and help form their first impression of UCO.
Parent Orientation Leaders will work with the parents and families of incoming first year students in 2 day-long orientations and with incoming first-year students during Stampede Week. They will interact with families- easing fears, doubts and answering questions. Parent Orientation Leaders will be the first and lasting impression of a UCO student to parents and families.
A BOL and POL must be a currently enrolled undergraduate student at UCO who has completed at least 12 credit hours, has a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA at the end of Fall Semester and whose baccalaureate degree will not be completed prior to December 2013. BOLs and POLs must also be in good disciplinary standing.
• Attend and participate in all BOL and POL Spring semester retreats and meetings (see below for dates and times).
- Orientation Leader Retreat (April 6-7)
- April Meetings (April 16th & 23rd; 8-9:30 p.m.)
- The Re-Retreat (August 12 and 13. Tentatively both days should be held)
- New Broncho/Parent Orientation (August 15 and 16)
- Wake Up in Wantland (August 17)
- Find Your Classes (August 18)
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evening Stampede Week events, on my assigned day(s) (August 19-21)
- Orientation Leader Celebration (August 22)
• Facilitate small group interaction with incoming students and families
• Acquaint new students with campus services and building locations
• Communicate essential information in a variety of public settings
• Serve as a positive representative of UCO while fostering a welcoming environment among its newest community members
• Other duties as assigned
The NSO Executive Team will be selecting fifty (50) Broncho Orientation Leaders and ten (10) Parent Orientation Leaders. Being part of New Student Orientation is a very sought after position. In respect to your peers, please do not apply or move forward in the interview process if you cannot commit to the mandatory retreat/meeting dates or the two weeks in August of New Student Orientation and Stampede Week.
Based on the written application, the candidate pool will be narrowed down and selected candidates will be invited by email to a group interview with other BOL and POL candidates and the NSO Exec Team
If you have any questions concerning this position, please contact Kelsey Heidlage, New Student Orientation Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Kay Robinson, Director of Campus Activities at email@example.com/ 405.974.2593.