Children's Home Society - Destiny House Mentor
*FEMALE APPLICANTS ONLY*
The Children's Home Society of Florida is a nonprofit providing support and care to foster youth and families across the entire state of Florida. Our North Coastal division serves Volusia, Flagler, and Putnam counties. Since our founding in 1902, we have helped over 41,000 children find families through adoption and helped many more find hope and healing by providing stability, coaching, and guidance through our programs. We currently have three residential homes located in Deland, Florida, for neglected and abandoned youth: Brian's House for teen boys, Destiny House for teen girls, and Sunshine House for siblings & children with special needs. These houses provide the guidance and stability necessary to help these youth excel and enter into adulthood confidently. Volunteers like you serve as tutors and mentors to the youth and help guide them towards success.
Purpose: Serve as a positive role model for vulnerable teen girls and assist the house staff with daily operations of Destiny House. Ages range from 13 to 17.
Location: Destiny House in Deland, Florida. Address will be given once applicant is cleared to volunteer.
- Develop a trusting relationship with the girls of Destiny House
- Put together and implement small, fun projects and activities for the girls such as art activities, scrap booking, board games etc.
- Interact with and entertain mentee(s)
- Teach important life skills such as budgeting, running a household, communication, social skills, healthy eating, cooking and baking, etc.
- Assist with homework assignments and projects
- Maintain confidentiality of the client’s personal matters and adhere to the agency’s policy on confidentiality
The list of responsibilities is not a comprehensive list of duties. The staff of Destiny House may assign duties not listed above if such duties are deemed necessary.
Reports to: Linda McLeod, Supervisor
Time Commitment: Long term and ongoing basis. Minimum of 6 months is required.
Schedule: Scheduling is flexible and can be discussed with Destiny House supervisor.
- Strong organizational skills
- Proactive and takes initiative
- Experience interacting with female teenagers
- Great communication skills – verbal and oral
- Genuine desire to help and support abused, abandoned, and neglected youth
Support/Training: The supervisor and staff at the residential home will be able to help you with questions and further assistance.
Dress code: Casual
You will be required to do a background screening and fingerprinting. The cost is $64.75 and will be at the applicant’s expense. Applicants will be reimbursed after volunteering for 50 hours.
If you are interested in this position, please contact Abeer ElTemtamy at email@example.com and fill out this form.
If you anticipate any barriers to your access, participation, transportation to, or inclusion in this opportunity, please contact the Center for Community Engagement.