Children's Home Society - Brian's House Mentor
*MALE APPLICANTS ONLY*
The Children's Home Society of Florida is a nonprofit providing support and care to foster youth and families across the entire state of Florida. Our North Coastal division serves Volusia, Flagler, and Putnam counties. Since our founding in 1902, we have helped over 41,000 children find families through adoption and helped many more find hope and healing by providing stability, coaching, and guidance through our programs. We currently have three residential homes located in Deland, Florida, for neglected and abandoned youth: Brian's House for teen boys, Destiny House for teen girls, and Sunshine House for siblings & children with special needs. These houses provide the guidance and stability necessary to help these youth excel and enter into adulthood confidently. Volunteers like you serve as tutors and mentors to the youth and help guide them towards success.
Purpose: Serve as a positive role model for vulnerable teen boys. Ages range from 13-17
Location: Brian's House in Deland, Florida. Address will be given once an applicant is cleared to volunteer.
- Establish and develop a trusting relationship with the youth of Brian's House
- Guide the youth and enforce more positive behavior in their personal and academic lives
- Teach important life skills such as budgeting, communication, social skills, etc. or engage them in other meaningful activities and sports.
- Maintain confidentiality of the youths' personal matters and adhere to the agency's policy on confidentiality
This list of responsibilities is not a comprehensive list of duties. The staff of Brian's House may assign duties not listed above if such duties are deemed necessary.
Reports to: Casey King, Supervisor
Time commitment: Long term and ongoing basis. Minimum of 6 months is required.
Schedule: Scheduling is flexible and can be discussed with Brian's House supervisor
- Strong organizational skills
- Motivated, proactive, and takes initiative
- Experience interacting with teenagers
- Great communication skills, both verbal and oral
- Genuine desire to help and support abused, abandoned, and neglected youth
- African American male applicants are highly encouraged to apply!
Support and training: The supervisor and staff at the residential home will be able to help you with questions and further assistance.
Dress code: Casual
You will be required to do a background screening and fingerprinting. The cost is $64.75 and will be at the applicant's expense. Applicants will be reimbursed after volunteering for 50 hours.
If you are interested in this position, please contact Abeer ElTemtamy at email@example.com and fill out this form.
If you anticipate any barriers to your access, participation, transportation to, or inclusion in this opportunity, please contact the Center for Community Engagement.