New RSO Application
A Recognized Student Organization is any student-run organization that has completed the RSO chartering process through the Student Government Association and met the requirements set forth in the SGA Bylaws and the RSO Administrative Guide
Please read all of the information below before you begin this application.
Step 1: Complete the New RSO Application
At the time of application you must have the following:
- At least 5 members. At least half must be UofL students
- An advisor. Must be 25 or older and not a student (exceptions may be made for Doctoral candidates)
- A constitution (see “How to Write a Constitution” for Constitution guidelines and requirements)
Step 2: Your application will be reviewed by the Graduate Assistant to RSOs for completeness.
- If your application is not complete, the application will be reopened and the submitter will be notified by email of any changes that need to be made.
- To edit a reopened submission in OrgSync, go to “My Tools” > “Requests” > “Forms”; or go to the form page and click "Resume Form"
Step 3: Completed applications will be reviewed by the Student Organizations Advisory Board, who will approve or reject applications based on the following criteria:
- Compliance with SGA requirements
- Completeness and clarity of Constitution
- Consistency of purpose with University policy
Step 4: Approved applications will be submitted to the Student Senate following the Student Organizations Advisory Board meeting.
A schedule of Senate meetings will be posted to the SGA website at the beginning of the Fall semester: www.uoflsga.org. The SOAB generally meets one week before the Senate meeting.
Step 5: Once the organization has been approved by both the SOAB and the Senate, the contact person for the organization will be notified by email.
Step 6: The contact person or an officer should contact the GA for RSOs as soon as possible to schedule a meeting to review RSO rights and responsibilities.
Step 7: New RSOs must register a portal on OrgSync by the end of the semester in which they are chartered to retain Good Standing. Organizations who have not registered their portal by the end of the semester will be placed on Probation.