Health Communication & Marketing Intern Application 2018-2019
Health Communication & Marketing Internship Application 2018-2019
The Department of Health & Wellness is now hiring Interns for the 2018-2019 academic year. Health & Wellness Interns work collaboratively in support of the H&W mission to use evidence based strategies to improve student well-being at UCSB. H&W Interns serve as liaisons to the student community and assist in the development of effective programs, services and resources. Interns will work as a team and be assigned projects based on their interests, training, and campus needs.
BASIC JOB DUTIES
- Work with professional staff to develop and implement health promotion messages and strategies within a public health framework.
- Assist with program delivery, including workshops, events, campaigns, field trips and meetings.
- Assist with marketing of programs and services, including print, digital, and word-of-mouth formats.
- Assist with office administration, including E-mail communication, telephone calls, data entry and maintenance, paperwork, filing, and organizing.
- Attend weekly team meetings and meet with supervisor(s) as needed.
- Attend campus meetings and serve on campus committees.
- Marketing specific duties outlined below.
INTERNSHIP DATES and PAY RATES
Spring Training (5-10 hours total. dates & times TBD) $12/hr
Fall Training September 17-27, 2018 $13/hr
Internship September 27, 2018-June 16, 2019 $13/hr
- 1 academic year (Fall, Winter and Spring Quarter) commitment required
- Work a minimum of 10-12 hrs/wk with additional hours available – pay rate is $13/hr starting fall
- 5-10 hours of training during current Spring quarter (schedule varies)
- Applicants must be available for training/planning beginning September 17th and work for the remainder of the summer to prepare for fall quarter
- A limited number of SUMMER positions are available to those hired for the following academic year
- Appointments are limited to 4 quarters, including summers; must be registered students
- Interns with excellent performance records may be invited to apply for second-year appointment
- All positions require some late night, evening, weekend, and holiday shifts and may include Halloween weekend and/or Deltopia, etc.
- All positions include special projects and duties as assigned
- Health Communication & Marketing interns are required to be proficient in Adobe Creative Suite* and Microsoft Office suite.
- Model H&W values: Review and acknowledge the Responsibilities, Expectations & Commitments document.
- Strong communication skills and logistical organization skills; reliable, punctual, professional, detail-oriented, and self-motivated.
- Computer skills (Windows, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Creative Suite); Ability to appropriately and efficiently use communication tools (Outlook, Group ME, Google Calendar, Asana, text, etc.)
- Accessible to, supportive/encouraging of team members: able to work well with others under pressure.
- Knowledge of/experience in at least one skilled area of Health & Wellness (ie. nutrition content or photography or both)
- Interest in career in health promotion or related fields
- Basic understanding of the University and campus resources
- Passionate vision for H&W content
- Open to change and to giving and receiving feedback
HEALTH COMMUNICATION & MARKETING TEAM
(Advisor, Michael Takahara)
Marketing Team Coordination
Marketing Team interns are required to be proficient in Adobe Creative Suite* and Microsoft Office suite. Responsibilities include creation and dissemination of health promotion message campaigns, programming and services. Interns will be assigned projects based on their interests, training, and campus needs. This is a highly collaborative internship, so it is likely that applicants will be asked to help other interns with various tasks. Desirable applicants will have Health Communication knowledge and one or more of the following skill sets:
*Applicants with alternative software expertise with programs similar to Adobe Creative Cloud software are still encouraged to apply.
- Proficient in Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat
- Monitor and respond to any social media comments and/or feedback
- General understanding or willingness to learn about social media analytics
- Comfortability or willingness to learn about social media planning platforms
- Proficient in editing content for print and on-line publications
- Manage content and design of Sifefinity Website (Content Management Software for Health & Wellness Website)
- Create monthly Emma E-mails
- Develop independent marketing campaigns and projects to further promote Health & Wellness Services
- Create content for independent organizations with common goals
- Write words, slogans, and scripts for Health & Wellness campaigns, programming, services, and student well-being
- Maintain and create weekly content for the Health & Wellness WordPress
- Assist health promotion interns and marketing interns with special projects
- Create content for social media campaigns and monthly Emma E-mails
- Produce content for bi-weekly wellness newsletters
- Use storytelling to communicate the work that Health & Wellness does and its benefits to the UCSB students and community
- Schedule Events on Orgsync calendar.
- Create videos for H&W campaigns, programming, services, and student well-being (advertisements and promotions, event recaps, positivity videos, etc.)
- Proficient in Adobe Premiere, After Effects (optional), and Photoshop (optional)
- Collaborate with other individuals, groups, and organizations to develop and create video content
- Maintain series like “Mondays with Maka” and “Student Spotlight”
- Familiarity with Canon t5i camera operation, tripods, lights, lenses, mics (lav and shotgun mics)
- Support the photographer with their marketing projects
- Create photos for H&W campaigns, programming, services, and student well-being
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Light room (optional), and Illustrator (optional)
- Attend Health & Wellness events in order to take photos for future marketing
- Familiarity with Canon T5i camera operations and thorough understanding of various camera equipments (tripods, external lights, lenses, mics, etc.)
- Familiarity with major social media websites (Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, WordPress, and Twitter)
- Support the videographer with their marketing projects
- Must be able to work with Adobe Creative Cloud Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, etc.)
- Create and design digiknows and infographics for weekly events
- Responsible for the overall branding of UCSB Health & Wellness and expanding marketing outreach
- Develop logos and graphics for health campaigns
- Use graphic design to educate college students on physical, mental, and emotional well-being through the mediums of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and print media
Health Communication & Marketing COORDINATOR (1-2)
- Intern responsibilities plus:
- Proficient in marketing project management, including assessment of needs, setting goals, developing plans, implementing plans, and evaluation
- Lead marketing meetings
- Assists Health & Wellness Advisor in the successful implementation of H&W health communication and marketing efforts
- Acts as a resource to both H&W interns and staff
- Maintains consistent communication flow between H&W professional staff, interns, and marketing team by creating viable team communication (via GroupMe, Google calendar, weekly emails, etc.)
- Tracks all budgets and expenses
Coordinator roles will be assigned by the supervisory team upon selection of the marketing team.
**Include samples/portfolio links in applications via Flickr, Vimeo, YouTube, published work, websites, social media, etc.