Toward a Culture of University Ethics: Call for Student Organization Poster Proposals
Mar 22, 2017 by Mark Miceli
Toward a Culture of University Ethics
A Conference at Boston College April 5-7, 2017
~Call for Student Organization Poster Proposals~
Toward a Culture of University Ethics is a national conference from April 5-7, 2017 at Boston College with speakers from around the United States that aims to raise a range of ethical issues that arise at institutions of higher education: the place of athletics, unsustainable tuition, gender bias, sexual violence, cheating and plagiarism, binge drinking, conflicts around race, class and homophobia. Does the university culture promote or enable these policies and practices? If so, what do we do?
Student organizations at Boston College are invited to participate in the conference through a poster session that will happen on Friday, April 7 from 9-10:30am. If you think that your organization can address one or more of the above issues as they relate to and impact universities in general (not just Boston College in particular) and can help frame ethical questions and considerations about these issues, please strongly consider submitting a poster session proposal.
What are posters?
Posters are visual ways to present topics and research. They combine graphics and text. The key is simplicity in order for the viewer to be able to easily read and understand your main point and the flow of information on your poster. As conference attendees walk about the floor, they will be able to interact with you about your poster and the issues and questions that you raise.
Helpful tips on constructing posters:
- Posters should include a title, name and affiliation.
- Choose a font size and style that can be read easily from several feet away. Use Bold print. (Title should be at least 72pt-use all caps; headings 36-60 pt; and text at least 18-24 pt.) Sans serif fonts work well for title. Arial or Verdana for text.
- Keep it simple. Don’t try to cram too much on the poster.
- Limit colors to 2-3.
Some specifics about the posters
- All posters will be listed in the conference program.
- We will provide an easel and a 20”x30” foam board for your poster (bring your own materials for mounting to board).
- You can display your poster horizontally or vertically. (Horizontally is easier to read.)
- Presenters are required to set up their posters by 8:15 on the morning of Friday, April 7th. You should be at your individual display during the poster session to answer questions.
Submitting a Proposal
If your group would like to submit a proposal, please complete THIS FORM by 11:59pm on Monday, March 27. You will be notified by Thursday, March 30 if your proposal has been accepted and, if accepted, also given instructions on picking up supplies to make your group’s poster.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact either Prof. Kathy Bailey in Political Science (email@example.com) or Prof. Meghan Sweeney in Theology / PULSE (Meghan.firstname.lastname@example.org).
For more information about the conference and speakers: www.bc.edu/universityethics