ASI Student Engagement Scholarship Program
Thursday, Nov 1, 2012 - Friday, Feb 22, 2013
DOWNLOAD A RECOMMENDATION FORM HERE - Note that the completed recommendation form is to be placed in a sealed envelope by the recommender and should not be opened for any reason. Opened or unsealed envelopes will not be accepted.
- - - -
ASI STUDENT ENGAGEMENT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
“My feeling is that, if all you learn at a university is what you learn in the formal classroom, then you have not received the best education possible.” - CSULB President-Emeritus Robert C. Maxson
Established by the Associated Students in 2012, the ASI Student Engagement Scholarship Program seeks to provide financial support to those California State University, Long Beach students who do more than “just go to class.” These are the students of CSULB who are progressing through college AND getting involved in student organizations, participating in internships, conducting research, holding outside employment or serving their communities.
Application deadline for this scholarship is February 22, 2013.
The ASI will award the scholarship to a regularly enrolled and admitted student pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree at California State University, Long Beach. All applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements.
1. Applicant is regularly admitted and currently enrolled at CSULB. Students enrolled through Open University or Extension Services are not eligible.
2. Applicant is a full-time enrolled, undergraduate student (12 or more units) or graduate student (9 or more units).
3. Applicant has a cumulative GPA of 2.5 (undergraduate) or 3.5 (graduate).
4. At the time of application, the applicant is receiving no other form of support from Associated Students, Incorporated including stipends, fellowships, or scholarships. This does NOT include wages paid by ASI or financial aid received from the university.
Officers, directors, trustees, and full-time employees of the Associated Students, Incorporated are not eligible for this award.
5.Applicant must planning to enroll in Fall 2013. Students that do not attend during this semester will not be eligible to receive the scholarship.
The Associated Students, Incorporated Board of Control will choose recipients. The Associated Students, Incorporated will determine award recipients by March 22nd of each year.
$25,000 will be distributed as individual awards of $1,000 to 25 qualifying applicants. No award will be paid to the recipient. All awards will be paid directly to the student’s university account in the CSULB Bursar’s Office along with their financial aid package. All awards shall be disbursed for the student’s upcoming fall semester.
Applicants must submit the following four (4) items:
1. Application form
2. One (1) recommendation form in a sealed envelope from an employer, advisor, or CSULB faculty member.
3. A typed essay, (double spaced, 12-point font, not to exceed 500 words), on the following prompt: Please describe your responsibilities while being a college student including any of the following: involvement in student organizations, internships, research, employment or community outreach. Also, articulate any obstacles that you have faced and the skills you have developed and/or employed to overcome them. Be sure to tell an engaging story of how your life has changed since attending CSULB.
Essays over 500 words will not be consider.
4. Copy of the applicant’s Financial Award Summary obtained from MyCSULB, even if you are not receiving aid.
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS AND QUESTIONS BY FEBRUARY 22, 2012 TO:
Phone: (562) 985-5241
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
ASI provides equal opportunities to all applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender/gender identity, age, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation (actual or perceived), religion, medical condition, physical or mental disability, residency status, citizenship, Vietnam era veteran status, special disabled veteran status or other covered U.S. veteran status.
|Created by||Ryan Mathews on Aug 13 at 12:12 pm|