Leadershape Institute Application
SLCC is recruiting energetic students for an incredible leadership in service opportunity for the 2018-19 school year. Selected applicants will have an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to participate in an all-expenses-paid, intensive, six-day leadership experience with their peers across the country at one of the following LeaderShape Institutes listed below.
- May 13-18 (Any student)
- Jul 22-27 (Any student)
- Jul 29- Aug 3 (African American Men only)
- Aug 5-10 (LatinX students only)
After returning to Utah, participants will commit to putting their learning and ideas into action with a local non-profit partner of the Thayne Center and Salt Lake Community College, and committing a minimum of 50 hours of service towards one of the categories listed below.
Selected applicants must agree to complete the following:
- Two pre-departure meetings to meet the other selected SLCC members and identify some potential service opportunities in areas of interest.
- Participate fully in the selected LeaderShape Institute,
- Identify and commit to a schedule of service hours with the selected non-profit entity,
- Complete 50+ hours at their selected site throughout the 2018-19 academic year and
- Reflect on the experience on their e-Portfolio
- Present on your experience at the Civic Engagement Showcase, Engaged Learning Showcase, Thayne Center Annual Celebration, or other relevant events.
Here is what you will need before you begin the application
- Two letters of recommendation (saved as a word.doc, or docx. or pdf.)
- one from a professor - to attest of your academic commitment
- one from an employer or advisor – to attest of your character and values
- Essay – two pages, single spaced, 12 pt. answering this question (saved as a word doc, or word. docx. or pdf.) "I want to make a change in my community by addressing this issue (?) because…:"
This application closes April 6, 2018.