2014 Orientation Leader Application
LORAS COLLEGE ORIENTATION LEADER
POSITION DESCRIPTION AND APPLICATION
Application due: Wednesday, February 19th, 2014
(Applicants will be contacted for an Interview)
The Orientation Leader (OL) position is a limited summer opportunity to assist incoming students and their parents in the transition to college life at Loras through four first year orientation sessions as well as transfer orientation sessions. The Orientation Leaders will be present at all orientation sessions and assist in facilitating activities, discussions, the scheduling process, etc. The Orientation Leaders will also have a role in Launch into Loras, assisting with the welcoming and move-in process for the new students as well as providing support to the program throughout the four days.
The Orientation Leaders have many duties and responsibilities including, but not limited to:
• Attend all Orientation sessions from start to finish. The sessions begin around 6:45 a.m. and finish around 5:00 p.m.
Participate in all Training Sessions- Saturday, March 15th, 9:00am – 4:00 pm & Sunday, April 6th, 1:00pm-4:00pm
• Participate in the planning of orientation during scheduled training sessions, including planning and execution of skits and other activities.
• Facilitate group and one-on-one discussions with new students and parents.
• Provide feedback to other OLs on their performance and be open to feedback by other OLs, the Coordinators, and the Assistant Director and Director of Student Life.
• Participate in Launch into Loras activities; including help with move-in, program support, and supplementing the Launch facilitators for large group activities.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the Orientation Leaders must uphold certain expectations, including:
• Be prompt and alert at all training sessions and orientation sessions.
• Wear OL polo to all Orientation sessions.
• Represent the college in a positive manner.
• Abide by all Loras College policies found in the Students Rights and Responsibilities and the Student Handbook.
• Do not use acronyms (RA, CAB, etc.) when talking to students or parents.
• Make a conscious effort to disperse yourself throughout the room among the new students; do not cling to other OLs.
• Provide students and parents with accurate information. If you are not sure or do not know the answer to a question, find the answer or take that person to someone who knows the answer.
• Present information in a non-biased manner, without offering your personal opinion. Your preferences may be very different than the students. Your role is to present the information and allow students to form their own opinions and make their own choices.
• Maintain a positive and enthusiastic attitude throughout all programs.
Orientation Leaders must be in good standing with the College. For the Orientation Leader position, “good standing” is defined as maintaining no less than a 2.5 cumulative grade point average as well as being in good standing with the College conduct system and being free of any type of academic or non-academic probation. Orientation Leaders cannot hold the position of Peer Assistant also because of scheduling conflicts during Launch into Loras.
• $500 total compensation, including payment for training, Orientation sessions, and Launch into Loras participation to be paid in two monthly payments ($350 in June, $150 in August)
• Food during orientation sessions
• Housing the day prior to June & July orientation dates (if desired)
• Participate in all Orientation Leader Training Sessions:
Saturday, March 15th, 2014 (9-4)
Sunday, April 6, 2014 (1-4)
Wednesday, August 20 (2-4)
• Attend all Orientation sessions from start to finish. The sessions begin around 6:45 a.m. and finish around 5:00 p.m. Dates include:
May 3 (Saturday) – First Year & Transfer
June 12 (Thursday) – First Year & Transfer
June 17 (Tuesday) – First Year & Transfer
June 19 (Thursday) – First Year & Transfer
Launch into Loras
August 21-24 (Thursday-Sunday)
Fall Transfer Orientation
August 23 (Saturday)
Applications must be submitted on Org Sync no later than 4:30 pm on
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
Individual interviews will be held February 24-28, 2014
Applicants will be contacted for an interview time.