TEDxKenyonCollege: "Everyday Leadership" Audition Application
Thank you for your interest in speaking at TEDxKenyonCollege! We are delighted to hear more about what you can contribute to the conference.
TEDxKenyonCollege Audition Details:
- Application Deadline: Monday, December 3rd at 11:59 p.m.
- Audition: Friday, December 7th starting at 4 p.m
What is TEDxKenyonCollege?
TEDxKenyonCollege is a local, independently organized TED event taking place on Saturday, March 23, 2013, from 1 to 5:30 p.m. in the Gund Gallery at Kenyon College. The event strives to re-create the unique experience found at TED, where the world’s leading thinkers and doers congregate to share what they are most passionate about. At our event, TEDTalks video and live speakers will combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group (limited to 100 attendees). At its core, the fundamental goal of TED and TEDxKenyonCollege is to foster and spread great ideas. We aim to provide a platform where the smartest thinkers, greatest visionaries, and most fascinating individuals will be inspired and will have the opportunity to inspire others.
Our desire is to build a powerful speaker program — seeking out extraordinary voices in our community who have a unique story or an unusual perspective — and who can convey their story in a dynamic way.
Speakers at TEDx events must tell a story or argue for an idea. They may not use the TED stage to sell products, promote themselves or businesses. Every talk's content must be original and give credit where appropriate. Speakers cannot plagiarize or impersonate other persons, living or dead.
Talks should be directed at a smart general audience. (Avoid industry jargon.) It should focus on one unique aspect of your story. (Don't try to cover too much.) It should not be a sales pitch. (Absolutely no corporate plugs.)
About the Theme
The theme for TEDxKenyonCollege is "Everyday Leadership." The concept of "Everyday Leadership" explores how our passions translate into leadership and how leadership relates to everyday life. Great leaders are often all around us- whether we realize it or not. It's not about title or position, but the ways in which we strive to do our best and improve each other's lives. Our intent is to explore what leadership looks like in our everyday actions, decisions, and conversations, and how it inspires us to make ourselves and the world around us better.
About the Audition
Auditions will be held on Friday, December 7th starting at 4 p.m. in the KAC Theater. Applicants will be required to create and present a "TED" style talk that is approximately 5 minutes long that shares your topic (passion), why it's important, and what it's impact can have for the future. Prepare simple slides to emphasize your points. We highly suggest you watch other TED talks as you work on yours to get ideas on presentation formats.
For tips on how to make your presentation great visit http://www.ted.com/pages/tedx_presentation_design
For examples of TED Talks visit: http://www.ted.com/talks
TEDxTalks are known for their impact and high quality – because of that, all speakers need to agree to the following guidelines. (The talks only look easy to do!)
If selected to speak at TEDxKenyonCollege, speakers will be required to:
- Develop their talk in its entirety by February 14, 2013.
- Be available for speaker rehearsal and present your talk on Friday, February 15th.
- Submit all completed slides to TEDxKenyonCollege at least 2 weeks in advance of the event.
- Participate in a final rehearsal on Friday, March 22nd from 4 to 7:30 p.m.
- Attend the entire TEDxKenyonCollege event. Any exceptions must be approved in advance. At a minimum, speakers must be available to the audience during the break following their talk.
- Speakers understand that travel and lodging costs will be the responsibility of the speaker, unless otherwise agreed to in advance.
- All speakers will be required to sign a speaker release form.