Chalk Advertisement Request Form
Chalk Advertisement Guidelines
The following guidelines describe parameters for chalk advertising on University grounds. The guidelines exists to maintain the beauty and integrity of the Xavier University campus by minimizing damage to the University grounds and ensuring that campus postings align with the University mission. All other applicable Xavier University policies apply.
The Office of Student Involvement manages requests for approval of chalk advertising. Use of chalk advertising without approval will not be allowed. Xavier University offices, departments and recognized student organizations in good standing with the University may request approval to use chalk advertising on a first come, first served basis using the online reservation form. External groups may not use chalk advertising on campus property.
Approval confirmations will be emailed following verification of the request. The Office of Student Involvement reserves the right to change and/or cancel a reservation at any time. For questions regarding this policy and the reservation procedures, contact the Office of Student Involvement at 513.745.3004 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Office of Student Involvement reserves the right to deny any chalk advertisement request. To appeal the denial of a request, please contact the Office of Student Involvement at 513.745.3004 or email@example.com.
Purpose of Advertisement
Chalk advertisement may be used to advertise a campus program or event, recruit membership for a campus organization, support a student election campaign, or raise awareness about a cause or issue. Any message used as part of chalk advertising should be in accordance with the values of Xavier University. Therefore, messages may not contain references, either direct or indirect, to the use of alcohol or illegal substances; profanity or vulgar or sexually suggestive language or images; racial, ethnic, gender or religious insensitivity; or anything that violates the Xavier University Student Handbook. The Office of Student Involvement reserves the right to remove any messaging at any time without notice and is not responsible for any messaging that is damaged or defaced. All chalk advertising must identify the sponsoring organization.
Chalked messages may only be placed on flat, horizontal, concrete surfaces in the locations designated in this policy. Only washable chalk should be used. Absolutely no chalk advertising can be placed on campus buildings. Sponsoring groups are expected to limit chalk advertising to no more than two of the designated locations at a time and to allow space for multiple messages at each designated area.
- Sidewalk between Kuhlman Hall and ATM money machines
- Sidewalk in front entrance of O'Connor Sports Center
- Incline sidewalk from Victory Parkway down to the O'Connor Sports Center
- Cintas west entrance sidewalk, near the Auxiliary Gym
- University Village entrance sidewalk
- University Village courtyard sidewalk
- Sidewalk along Herald Avenue in front of Fenwick Place
Chalk advertising may be posted for a maximum of one week and must be removed by the sponsoring organization within 24 hours after the reservation (if rain or other whether has not already done so).
The sponsoring organization agrees to assume full responsibility for any loss, damage or cleaning necessary as a result of their chalk advertising. Student Involvement reserves the right to bill any organization or department for damages or losses resulting from the violation of this policy.
Violations of Policy
Violation of this policy may result in the following actions taken singularly or in combination:
- Immediate removal of the chalk advertising
- Payment for any labor, repair, or replacement costs incurred because of the violation
- Forfeiture of the ability to use chalk advertising for a stated period of time
- A fine levied against offices, organizations, faculty/staff, or students who violate this policy
- Conduct proceedings in accordance with an individual/group's University classification
- Referral to other campus offices as deemed appropriate
- Alleged violations may be referred to the Associate Provost for Student Affairs and/or designee.
Policy Review and Amendment
This policy is subject to annual review and amendment based on suggestions received during the year. When conditions warrant, a review committee may be called together to develop recommendations.