2012 Promising Young Artist Festival and Competition
The deadline has been extended until May 8, 2012 for applications
Promising Young Artist Festival and Competition
May 18 | La Sierra University | Hole Memorial Auditorium
The La Sierra University Department of Music invites all high school juniors and seniors (or equivalent home-school students) to participate in the Promising Young Artist Competition and Festival. Both instrumentalists and singers are invited to apply.
- The first-place winner of the competition will receive a $10,000 scholarship to attend La Sierra University, and a $500 cash prize, and a chance to perform their winning piece at one of the University’s Spring Concerts.
- The second-place winner will receive a $5,000 scholarship to attend La Sierra University, and a $350 cash prize.
- The third-place winner will receive a $1000 scholarship to attend La Sierra University, and a $150 cash prize.
All participants of the festival will receive a voucher for a complimentary lesson with our music faculty for a later date.
Participants will have the opportunity to work with the La Sierra University faculty through masterclasses/lessons in the morning. The adjudicated recital program will begin after lunch. The award ceremony will follow. Lunch and dinner will be included for festival participants only. The recital is open to the public.
- Student must be a high school junior or senior (or equivalent home-school students). Juniors qualify for third prize only, but can participate again in their senior year.
- Student must provide their accompanist; in extenuating circumstances the university may provide an accompanist if arrangements are made in advance.
- Student must provide an original copy of his/her piece and three additional copies for adjudicators.
- Student must submit a letter of recommendation from his/her music instructor.
- Student must submit competition repertoire, including exact details of titles and individual movements, the duration of each work or of each separate movement no later than May 8, 2012. It is suggested that the student choose two contrasting works that display lyric and technical ability or one large work that contains both.
- Total length of audition not to exceed 15 minutes.
$50 registration fee must be received no later than May 8, 2012. Checks can be made out to:
Department of Music 4500 Riverwalk Parkway Riverside, CA 92505 - please write “Promising Young Artist” on the memo line.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted
The top 3 prize-winners must abide by the following stipulations in order to fully redeem the amount/scholarship:
- Student must be enrolled in at least ONE major ensemble and ONE chamber group each quarter.
- Student must maintain a 3.2 GPA each quarter (must provide proof of GPA to the music dept. each quarter).
- Student must take a minimum of 14 units each quarter.
- Student must maintain good academic and citizenship standing.
Failure to abide by the agreed stipulations may lead to loss of their scholarship.
For further information, please contact the Department of Music by email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the office at 951-785-2036.
If you'd like, you can download a blank PDF version of this form.