2015-2016 International Ambassador Application
Purpose: Under the guidance of the Global Engagement Office, International Ambassadors will represent multiple aspects of international affairs at Samford University. International Ambassadors help facilitate a smooth transition for incoming international students to Samford University and coordinate the New International Student Orientation each semester. In addition, they will serve as advocates for international issues throughout the year and hold key positions on the Global Leadership Council (formerly know as “International Student Leadership Council”).
Eligibility: Service as an International Ambassador is limited to a selected group of eight (8) Samford students that meet certain criterion:
- A demonstrated desire to build lasting cross-cultural relationships
- Support of the mission and purpose of Samford University
- Outstanding character and reputation on campus
- Balanced and healthy involvement in campus activities
- Good academic standing with at least 3.0 GPA
- No record of major values violations
- Legally eligible to work on campus
- Fully available on campus from August 7-13, 2015
- Available throughout the year for regular meetings
- Completed International Ambassador application
- Interview with International Ambassador program director
- Recommendation from Samford faculty of staff member
Expectations: The International Ambassadors are positive representatives of Samford University to all students, international and domestic. They must have an understanding of cross-cultural communication and sensitivity. International Ambassadors will have an initial meeting in Spring 2015 and a required reading on intercultural affairs for the summer. They will be expected to return to campus a few days before the start of New International Student Orientation for preparations and training. Since this is a full year commitment, International Ambassadors will meet regularly with the program director, participate in the Global Leadership Council, and perform other duties as assigned.
Compensation: The International Ambassadors will be compensated with the “International Ambassador Scholarship” and with a partial travel stipend for a Samford-sponsored study abroad trip in the 2015-2016 academic year. Details will be discussed during the interview process.