Skip to Content Skip to Side Navigation

 

History of Omega Psi Phi
Edgar A. Love, Oscar J. Cooper, and Frank Coleman met in biology professor Ernest E. Just's office on the night of November 17, 1911, and found Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. The three undergraduate students, at this first meeting, decided on a motto, cardinal principles, and designed an emblem and pin.

Six days later, the three men elected Love as the organization's first president and chose eleven undergraduate men as charter members of the first chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. The fourteen charter members signed the chapter's charter on December 15, 1911.

During its early years, Omega Psi Phi struggled to be recognized as a blooming national organization. After submitting the original constitution to Howard University's faculty council, the council opposed recognizing Omega Psi Phi as a national organization.

From there, members began to investigate opening a second chapter of Omega Psi Phi at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania. The Lincoln University chapter opened in February of 1914.

Later that year, in October 1914, Howard University's faculty council withdrew its opposition to Omega Psi Phi being a national organization. The fraternity then recieved its articles of incorporation in Washington, D.C. on October 28, 1914.

Omega Psi Phi Today
Today, Omega Psi Phi supports over 700 undergraduate, graduate, and alumni chapters in the United States and around the world. Omega Psi Phi has also been nicknamed the Omegas or Ques, and members are also known as Omega Men.

As its social initiative, Omega Psi Phi has developed a program called the National Social Action Program, which works to meet the needs of African-American men and women in the areas of health, housing, civil rights, and education. Omega Psi Phi also supports the United Negro College Fund (UNCF.)

Omega Psi Phi can be distinguished from other fraternal organizations by various distinct insignia adopted throughout the organization's history.

Colors: royal purple and old gold
Symbol: lamp
Social Initiatives / Philanthropies: National Social Action Program, United Negro College Fund
Motto: Friendship is Essential to the Soul

Founded in 1911, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity was founded on the principles of uplifting African-American men who faced many challenges as they started to enter the college environment. Today, Omega Psi Phi continues to provide a support system to men of all races and to uplift and support members of the community and world around them.

Chapter History