Distinguished Graduate Program 2015 - 2016
Distinguished Graduate Program
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO February 1, 2016 @ NOON!!
This initiative spotlights each SAC program during our annual graduation ceremony by honoring one outstanding student from those programs, called the “Distinguished Graduate in _______ (program name).” Students receive special recognition at the graduation ceremony by wearing a cord signifying their Distinguished Graduate status and through an announcement made when they cross the stage. Their diplomas are also marked to show that they have achieved this honor.
Students are required to apply through a process as outlined below.
Criteria: for selecting the Distinguished Graduate from each department (departments may add to these criteria):
1) Student must have a minimum GPA of 3.2.
2) Student must participate in the May graduation ceremony.
3) Student must participate in events to promote graduation.
Department’s choice must be:
1) A student meeting the criteria above with a major in the respective department.
2) If a department has more than one program, they may have that many distinguished graduates.
A student who meets the criteria must submit an application that includes:
1) An essay explaining how your experience at San Antonio College and within their major influenced/inspired the student’s path to graduation.
2) A personal/academic biography that is 150-200 words. Please keep in mind when writing the biography that the biographies of the selected Distinguished Graduates will be published online. For examples, please visit http://www.alamo.edu/sac/2015DistinguishedGrads/
3) An inspirational quote including the name of the original author.
4) Agreeing in this application that you are willing to serve as outlined above and an understanding that failure to do so may result in the rescindment of your award.
The deadline for a student to submit the complete application has been extended to February 1, 2016. Applications should be submitted through this online application, not to the academic department.
Eligible applications will be forwarded to each respective department by the Office of the Vice President for Student Success. Each department must submit the name of their Distinguished Graduate to Lauren Sjulin in FAC 214 or via email to Isjulin@alamo.edu Departments may also submit their graduate to Chaye Pena in FAC 221, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 16, 2016.
Privileges of Honor
As Distinguished Graduates, students will:
1) Receive a Graduation Cord;
2) Earn special recognition at the graduation ceremony;
3) Have their names added to the Distinguished Graduate Department Plaque;
4) Receive a formal certificate;
5) Receive a T-shirt;
6) Have their picture, biography, and inspirational quote featured on the SAC website;
7) Have their picture featured in The Ranger; and
8) Have a President’s reception in their honor.
Selected students should be prepared to attend a first meeting on
February 25, 2016 from 1:00pm - 2:30pm in VAC 120