The Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity was founded at the University of Virginia on March 1, 1868. At the time, the University of Virginia was the fifth largest school in the United States, and was considered the first truly American state university, because it was the first to be established totally free from religious control.
It all started in Room 47 West Range when Frederick Southgate Taylor turned to Littleton Waller Tazewell, his cousin and roommate, for help in starting a new fraternity. Also present were James Benjamin Sclater, Jr., a schoolmate of Tazewell, and Sclater's roommate, Robertson Howard. Those four men voted to add a fifth to their group and chose Julian Edward Wood. In addition, William Alexander, probably a friend of Sclater, was proposed for membership and admitted as a founder.
The essence of the Founders' vision for Pi Kappa Alpha can be found in its Preamble:
"For the establishment of friendship on a firmer and more lasting basis;
for the promotion of brotherly love and kind feeling;
for the mutual benefit and advancement of the interests of those
with whom we sympathize and deem worthy of our regard;
We have resolved to form a fraternity, believing that, thus we can most successfully accomplish our object."
For more information, contact:
Pi Kappa Alpha International Fraternity (ΠΚΑ, Pikes) is an international secret social Greek-letter college fraternity. It was founded at the University of Virginia in the United States on Sunday evening, March 1, 1868. The national headquarters is located at 8347 West Range Cove Memphis, Tennessee 38125.
Student Organization seeking registration renewal
Must be an initiated member of the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity
MUST be a valid LAMAR UNIVERSITY email
Please upload your current constitution in PDF or Word format. If you do not have a constitution, contact the Office of Student Organization Services for an example. If constitutions are amended, organizations must bring a copy of the new constitution to the Office of Organization Services located in Setzer Student Center, Room 260 for the files.