2014 Alternative Break Trip Participant Registration Form
TRIP PARTICIPANT RESPONSIBILITIES
Attending an Alternative Break is a life-changing experience that can challenge and expand your understanding of yourself and society. To ensure a safe and successful experience for everyone involved, the Alternative Break Program requires dedicated, caring, and active Trip Participants. Trip Participants are expected to:
- Attend 3 pre-trip departure meetings (time/dates based on participant/coordinator availability).
- Assist Trip Coordinator with planning and fundraising as needed
- Be flexible and maintain a positive attitude
- Effectively communicate with Trip Coordinator, Trip Advisor, and other Trip Participants
- Engage in critical reflection before, during, and after trip
- Remain open to different ideas and perspectives
- Conservation in the Grand Canyon (3/23-3/29): $270.
- This trip is FULL!
- Homelessness in San Francisco (3/23-3/29): $310.
- This trip is limited to the first 13 participants who submit a deposit. Only 13 spots remain open.
- Animal Rescue in Utah (6/8-6/14): $400.
- This trip is limited to the first 4 participants who submit a deposit. Only 2 spots remain open.
- Transportation not included - airfare was priced around $550 in December 2013
**The trip fee covers emergency funds, food, housing, transportation and trip advisor and trip coordinator fees.
After completing the Trip Participant Registration Form, please make a $100 deposit to budget number 3401 at the Cashier’s Office. Registration forms and deposits are due no later than February 28, 2014. Upon making your deposit, please submit your receipt to Jen Feinstein, Civic Engagement Program Assistant, in AF 303. Your registration for an AB trip will not be confirmed until receipt of this deposit is received. Final payments are due by March 15th.
All participants are required to attend. At the first meeting, Trip Coordinators will determine if another day/time works for their group of Trip Participants. These meetings will include time to get to know and build a team with other trip participants, learn more about the issues in which you'll be engaged, and spend time covering logistical and safety issues.
- Individual - Participants will have multiple opportunities to work as a team on fundraising efforts that can offset the cost of their trip.
- SGA Conference Scholarship Application - Individual students may also apply for funding through the SGA Conference Scholarship Application. This application must be submitted at least three weeks prior to the final payment date in order to receive funding in time to make your final payment. Due to the time period of this trip, SGA Conference Scholarships may be unavailable unless submitted very early.
- Other financial assistance may be available. Please email Justin Koppelman, Asst Director of Student Engagement for Civic Engagement Initiatives.
WITHDRAW POLICY and ABSENCE FROM MEETINGS
Refunds will only be provided if the trip is canceled by the Department of Student Engagement. In any other circumstance, deposits/payments are non-refundable. Students who wish to withdraw from the program after payments have been made will forfeit that money to ensure the stability of publicized trip costs. Since trip costs are determined by the number of participants, withdrawing from the program and receiving a refund in any amount would result in an increased cost to the remaining participants.
*Student conduct records will be reviewed after the registration deadline has passed, to help ensure a safe environment for all Trip Participants. Please contact Justin Koppelman, Assistant Director of Student Engagement for Civic Engagement Initiatives, with any concerns you might have about this process.
**Please note that the availability of each trip is based on a minimum number of four Trip Participants. Contact Jen Feinstein, Civic Engagement Program Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to discuss the commitment and expectations further. Involvement in Alternative Breaks requires time and energy, but is extremely rewarding!