Apply Now for Seniors of Significance & Ann Shaw Leadership Awards
Mar 6, 2017 by LU Student Engagement
- Recipients of these awards will be recognized at the Toast to Leadership Awards Banquet.
- The deadline to apply for these awards is Monday, March 20, 2017.
We encourage all qualified students to apply for these awards! LU faculty and staff may also nominate any qualified students for consideration.
For more information, call 409-880-8458 or visit us in Carl Parker 101.
Ann Shaw Leadership Award
The Ann Shaw Award recognizes a junior or senior student for fostering a spirit of teamwork, excellence in leadership, and exhibiting exemplary personal ethics and integrity while making significant contributions to the Lamar University community.
Ann Shaw was a long-time employee of the university who served in numerous positions within the division of student affairs. Through her dedication to the growth and development of students and student leadership, she is personally responsible for the implementation of numerous student life programs and events, many of which have become Lamar traditions and institutions.
Recipients of the Shaw Award also receive a $1,000 stipend.
Criteria for Shaw Award Selection: Must be a full-time junior or senior student. Applicants will demonstrate qualities of effective, visionary leadership through significant contributions to Lamar University; recognizing and developing the potential of others; fostering a spirit of teamwork; inspiring a standard of excellence in leadership; and exhibiting exemplary personal ethics and integrity.
Current LU juniors and seniors may apply online for the Ann Shaw Award, or stop by the Office of Student Engagement, Carl Parker 101 for a paper application form.
Seniors of Significance
Seniors of Significance is student recognition program at Lamar University created to honor those undergraduate students graduating in May 2017, August 2017, or December 2017 who have excelled in scholarship, leadership, and service to campus and community; and who have brought distinction to Lamar University. A Senior of Significance has made a positive impact on the Lamar University campus and in their individual academic fields during their time at LU. They will continue to excel after graduation when they join the LU alumni family.
Current LU students graduating in May 2017, August 2017, or December 2017 may apply online for recognition as a Senior of Significance, or stop by the Office of Student Engagement, Carl Parker 101 for a paper nomination form.
Gentry and Kemble Awards
Recipients of the Bess Gentry Award and the C. Robert Kemble Award will be selected from those seniors recognized as Seniors of Significance. The Gentry and Kemble Awards include a $1,000 honorarium for each award winner.
- Bess Gentry Award: Established in 1975, this award is annually conferred as an all-university recognition of a senior woman who has demonstrated outstanding character, leadership, service, contribution and scholarship as a student at Lamar University. The award was established in the name of Bess Gentry, dean of women (1944-1968) and head of the women’s health and physical education department (1944-1956) and co-sponsored organizations that Mrs. Gentry was instrumental in establishing on the Lamar campus.
- C. Robert Kemble Award: This award was established in 1981 and is annually conferred as an all-university recognition of an outstanding senior man. The award, named for Dr. C. Robert Kemble, president of Lamar University (1977-1984) and chancellor (1984-1986), honors the recipient for outstanding contribution and service to the university and for scholastic achievement.
- Criteria for Gentry and Kemble Awards Selection: Leadership as evidenced by Lamar University; exemplary character; contribution and service to Lamar University; esteem held by others; contribution to community, state, and nation; and above-average scholarship.