Student Organization Advisor Interest Form
Are you interested in advising a Student Organization?
An organization advisor is an individual who has volunteered to guide and support in the best interest of an organization and its members. To be an effective advisor, one must share and believe in its mission.
It is required that, at minimum, one organization advisor is full-time and has worked at Lamar University a minimum of 6 months. The Office of Student Organization Services asks advisors to:
- Act as a mentor, motivator, educator, devil’s advocate, and/or sounding board
- Review/approve registration renewals each semester (required)
- Review request notifications sent via email from OrgSync (required)
- Attend organization meetings and/or events
- Interpret university policies and organization constitution
- Liaise between organization and the university
- Assist with leadership development
Forms and instructions are sent via email each semester. Otherwise, since each organization is different, an advisor is at liberty to develop a role according to the needs of the organization.
Expectations of the advisor and of the organization members should be discussed and agreed upon at the beginning of each officer’s term. It is also important to reflect on whether or not the expectations are being met throughout the year.