Phi Alpha is the International Social Work Honor Society. If you are interested in joining check out the requirements on the international website at www.phialpha.org and join us for a meeting. We will conduct interviews and have our next induction in January.
You can contact us with questions or to set up a meeting at firstname.lastname@example.org.
An International Honors Society for Social Work Students
Please enter just the Box Number or File.
New RSOs who have not been approved yet, please enter "File."
What else should people know about your meetings? Do you only meet once a month? Do attendees need to be added to an agenda? Is the location hard to find? If attendees need ADA accommodations, whom should they contact?
For specific information about past, current, and future projects, ways to get involved, and important future dates, please attend one of our upcoming meetings:
- Tuesday, November 10 from 11AM - Noon in FLITE 405
- Tuesday, December from 11 AM - Noon in FLITE 438
If you know of someone who may be eligible encourage them to attend one of the scheduled informational meetings. Students who are working toward eligibility are also welcome to attend meetings.
Does your organization have a mission statement, catch phrase, or other marketing description? Information provided here may be used in university publications, websites, or other materials.
The purpose of Phi Alpha Honor Society is to provide a closer bond among students of social work and promote humanitarian goals and ideals. Phi Alpha fosters high standards of education for social workers and invites into membership those who have attained excellence in scholarship and achievement in social work.
If your organization has selective membership, please describe the selection process. This may include a GPA requirement, try-outs, degree program, etc.
International Qualifications for Individual Membership:
1) Declared social work as a major.
2) Achieved sophomore status.
3) Completed 9 semester hours of required social work courses.
4) Achieved an overall grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
5) Achieved a 3.25 grade point average in required social work courses.
6) Each chapter may select two persons each year for honorary membership. This recognition is available to persons outside the program who have made a significant contribution to the program and/or society.
7) A lifetime membership fee of $20 for each individual member is paid only once. (Due after initiation).
8) Each semester of collegiate membership is $10 for each individual member. (Due after initiation).
Why should people join? What makes your group special? What will students gain by being a member?
The Phi Alpha International Social Work Honor Society, Theta Eta Chapter, has a Big Rapids and a Traverse City cohort, and you may be eligible to join. This is an exciting opportunity for you to personally get involved on campus and in the community with activities pertinent to the social work profession, and to work directly with other social work students and faculty.
We are looking for a motivated group of committed BSW and MSW students to reinvigorate, reorganize, and update our chapter. If you enjoy getting in on the ground floor of an organization and have new and exciting ideas to voice, this is a great opportunity for you.
Does your group have a fundraising, volunteer, or service initiative? Do you consistently work with a non profit organization?
Past projects include bringing social justice films and speakers to campus, organizing donations for El Salvador, and sending textbooks to Social Work libraries in need around the world. Upcoming projects include bringing the Sister Cities NGO to campus in October, SW newsletter, El Salvador library project, scholarships and grant writing.
Finance not eligible