2020-2021 UCOL Peer Teaching Assistant Application
UCOL PTAs serve as Peer Teaching Assistants for University College courses, including: UCOL 1002 - Gateway to College Learning, UCOL 1013 - Intro to College Experience, UCOL 2002 - Strategies for Success, and UCOL 1022 - UC Seminar Courses.
UCOL PTAs are an integral part of the mission of University College. PTAs assist students in successful transition to OU in a variety of ways, including: serving as peer mentors, modeling positive academic habits, teaching specific skills and methods for creating successful academic and self-regulation behaviors, assisting first-year students in becoming acclimated to OU's campus, assisting first-year students in understanding and using resources available at OU, and various other aspects aimed at assisting first-year students in creating success at OU.
UCOL PTAs should expect an average weekly time commitment of 5 hours/week. UCOL PTAs receive a $500 tuition waiver per two (2) hour course. UCOL PTAs are typically assigned one (1) two (2) hour course each semester. UCOL PTAs will not be enrolled in or receive credit for the UCOL course(s) for which they are assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS:
1. Current OU Norman Campus student who has completed at least 12 undergraduate hours
2. Minimum 3.0 OU Cumulative grade point average (exceptions may be made for students who are applying to be a PTA for Strategies for Success, have completed that course, and have been recommended by a UCOL instructor or staff member)
3. Successful completion of UCOL course (Gateway, UCOL Seminar, Strategies for Success) or comparable campus experience
4. Successful completion of this online application, including submission of resume, by Friday, February 21, 2020 at 5 pm CST
5. Must be available to serve as a PTA for both Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters (exceptions may be made for students who are studying abroad or holding internships during one semester, but must be discussed in advance)
6. Available to attend the required trainings:
- UCOL PTA Training: 9 am to 5 pm on Saturday, March 28, 2020 (a make-up training will be provided from 9 am to 5 pm on Sunday, March 29, 2020 for those that have pre-approved, University sponsored event(s) that conflict with the March 28, 2020 training date)
- Gateway PTA Training: 9 am to 3 pm on Friday, August 21, 2020
- At least ONE Supplemental Training during each semester (exact times are TBA)
- Strategies for Success Training (held late Fall 2020)
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR NEW APPLICANTS ONLY:
Students who did not serve as a UCOL PTA in 2019-2020 will be asked to meet the following additional requirements:
1. Schedule an interview on Saturday, February 29, 2020 or Friday, March 6, 2020
2. Provide the name and OU email address for two (2) OU faculty and/or staff members who have agreed to serve as a reference for your application for UCOL PTA. This application will send them an email requesting their approval. You will be responsible for notifying them that they will be receiving a request to review and ensuring that your references complete the review by 5 pm on Friday, March 6, 2020.
Please note: Current Students may not serve as references.
Applications are due Friday, February 21, 2020 at 5 pm CST. Interviews will be held February 29th and March 6th.