UW-Stout Green Event Certification Program
UW-Stout’s Green Event Certification aims to reduce environmental and social impacts by planning events that are more sustainable. This involves looking at all aspects of an event and striving to make conscious decisions concerning transportation options, food and beverage choices, waste reduction, energy conservation, and much more. Some areas we ask event planners to focus on are:
UW-Stout encourages event planners to reduce waste as much as possible during events. Reducing waste reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change. If event planners do create waste during their event, we ask that they work to reuse or recycle/compost waste.
Event planners can be more sustainable by selecting transportation choices that either do not emit greenhouse gases (such as walking and biking) or emit fewer greenhouse gases (such as mass transit like buses).
Agriculture is a known contributor to greenhouse gas emissions, particularly carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide. Event planners can reduce their environmental impact by offering vegetarian and vegan options, as well as local food options. And by offering Fair Trade options, event planners are contributing to the social equity of farmers around the world.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout is committed to fostering a culture of sustainability with all of our campus operations and community members. An event at UW-Stout already has many sustainable aspects. We offer the following green elements:
- Free wireless internet available to attendees.
- Reusable or compostable dinnerware and cups.
- Cloth tablecloths and cloth/compostable napkins.
- Recycling and compost bins in or just outside event rooms.
- Informative signage to educate attendees about recycling/composting.
- Energy efficiency and green building principles in the Memorial Student Center, including LED and CFL lighting, efficient HVAC systems, light censors, on-demand hot water heaters, reclaimed lumber, efficient restroom hand dryers, and much more.
We encourage you to join us, by making your event more sustainable through our Green Event Certification Program.
Benefits for Event Planning Organizations
- You will be issued UW-Stout’s Green Event Seal to be used on all promotional materials for the event.
- You will be presented with UW-Stout’s Green Event certificate before or during your event, to be displayed at your event.
- You will be educating all your attendees about the importance and ease of being green.
How to Become Green Event Certified:
Review the Green Events Guide for suggested planning initiatives:
To certify your event, please complete the following form based on your planning initiatives.
- For events with catered food: If you can accomplish 18 items or more, your event is Green Event certifiable.
- For events without catered food: If you can accomplish 15 items or more, your event is Green Event certifiable.