Campus Ministry Happenings: May 7, 2019
May 7, 2019 by Anna C Robertson
This Week in Campus Ministry
Prayer for UNC-Charlotte
Wednesday, May 8, 12:30 p.m., Chapel of St. Ignatius
Wednesday's daily mass will be offered for those impacted by last week's shooting at the University of North Carolina Charlotte. Join Campus Ministry and the Chapel of St. Ignatius community in prayer.
Iftar Dinners During Ramadan
Wednesdays, 8:30 p.m., Office of Multicultural Affairs (Pavilion 180)
From May 8-29, the Muslim Student Association (MSA) will be hosting Iftar dinners on Wednesdays during Ramadan for Muslim students to break fast together. If you are a Muslim student and would like to attend one of the dinners, please RSVP to Amina Ibrahim, MSA President. In addition to the Iftar dinners being held for Muslim students, MSA invites Muslim and non-Muslim community members alike to come together for a Community Iftar Dinner on Wednesday, May 22.
Sunday, May 12, 8:00 p.m., Chapel of St. Ignatius
Join us this Sunday to support your fellow students who will be receiving the sacrament of Confirmation during the 8:00 p.m. mass. Eight students have been preparing all year for this special service celebrated by Bishop Elizondo, so please join us to pray and rejoice with them! The Sacrament of Confirmation is one of the Sacraments of Initiation, drawing those who receive it deeper into life with God and the Catholic Church, and anointing and empowering them with the Holy Spirit to be loving witnesses to God’s love in the world.
NSR Leader Info Session
Tuesday, May 14, 2019, 12:30-1:30 p.m., Pigott 200
Interested in leading New Student Retreat in Fall 2019 but unsure what to expect and/or how to apply? Get answers to these and other questions from Camp Min staff and past NSR Leaders before the May 19 application deadline. Drop in any time between 12:30 and 1:20, and feel free to bring a lunch. We'll begin with a short presentation about the NSR Leader experience, from application to retreat, followed by the opportunity to get your questions answered
Got Bible: To the Cross and Beyond
Tuesdays, 12:30-1:30 p.m., STCN 122
Join Campus Ministry for Got Bible, our weekly bible study! This quarter we are exploring the theme "To the Cross and Beyond." For those interested in bible study and real talk. Bring your own lunch. Bibles and cookies provided.
Deadlines and Reminders
- Apply to serve as a New Student Retreat Leader in Fall 2019: New Student Retreat Leaders have the chance to build community with new students and to provide space for them to reflect on their unfolding SU experience. Responsibilities of an NSR Leader include facilitating small group sharing, providing hospitality, leading icebreakers, reaching out to individual new students in conversation, and, for a few interested NSR Leaders, giving a talk. Regardless of whether you have attended NSR in the past, we welcome you to apply for a leadership position. Participants have the option of attending NSR during one of two weekends: November 1-3, 2019 and November 15-17, 2019. The application deadline for NSR Leaders is Sunday, May 19th. Selected participants will be invited to interview with a campus minister during the following week.
Save the Date: Upcoming Events
- May 22: Muslim Student Association Community Iftar Dinner
- May 23: Interfaith Fair - 12:00-2:00 p.m., Library Plaza (details forthcoming)
- June 7: Graduate and Post-Traditional Student Day of Reflection
Check out these opportunities from our on-campus partners! Do you have a program or opportunity coming up you'd like to see featured here? Email Anna Robertson with your request and a brief blurb!
- Education Abroad and the International Student Center are hosting an International Spring Fair on Tuesday, May 7th from 12-2pm in PAVL 160. Join them as they celebrate their International exchange students. This is an opportunity to meet exchange students and learn more about their cultures. You will also be able to taste typical dishes that remind students of their home.
- Join South Asian Student Association (SASA) for Holi Seattle University 2019 on Friday, May 10, 2019 from 5:00-7:00pm on the Union Green. With Spring Quarter starting, it's time to get ready for annual Holi. Join SASA for some fun, color, food, and henna at the Union Green on May 10th. Tickets will be limited and will be sold at the Hub for $5. Hope to see y'all there!
- The Institute on Catholic Thought and Culture invites you to Scandal, Structure, & Renewal: Sociological Perspectives on Change in the Catholic Church with Dr. Tricia C. Bruce, on Tuesday, May 14 at 7:00 p.m.
- The Seattle University Marianas TaoTao Tano Club is happy to invite you all to the 26th Annual Fiesta, entitled “Voyage of Our Heritage: Sailing Forth with a New Generation” on Sunday, May 26, 2019. We can’t wait to show you the beauty of the Marianas culture through our legendary stories, our beautiful island music, and some delicious food! Come celebrate with us on a night full of laughter, fun, and community! You can purchase tickets online at sufiesta2019.eventbrite.com.
- Join SEAC for the 30th annual Quadstock music festival next Saturday, May 18! Hang out with friends under the Seattle sky, for the daytime portions of our event and come inside the Redhawk center for our nighttime headliner. Tickets on sale at the Hub for $5.
- Join people from parishes across Western Washington for Walking and Witnessing for Immigrant Families, a multi-day prayerful walk showing solidarity with immigrant families. Whether you're able to participate in a short leg, the full two weeks, or only in prayer...all are welcome. The walk begins April 29th and will conclude with a Mass at the Northwest Detention Center on May 11th. For more information on participating, visit https://wacatholics.org/prayerwalk2019.
This week's header photo was taken by Aidan Courtney, Class of 2021. Have a photo of something beautiful you would like to share in Campus Ministry Happenings? Tag @sucampusministry on Instagram or submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.