RSO Classification Appeal
Please complete this appeal form if you do not agree with your classification.
In order to be classified into the category below, the RSO must fit the following criteria:
Sponsored Student Organization (SSO):
These RSOs are closely linked to the University and as a result would have the greatest level of University support and benefits in exchange for significant accountability to the University in areas such as legal compliance, fiscal responsibility and adherence to established community standards.
1) Must operate under the direct supervision of an advisor who is a University faculty or staff member. This advisor must have authority to select, supervise the actions of, and ultimately remove members of the organization if necessary. He/she must have final decision making authority in the areas of membership, activities, funding, etc.
2) Must be directly linked to a University Department. The relationship with the department must be clear and distinct, and the department must have the final authority over all actions taken by the RSO. The University Department is also responsible for any additional insurance premiums which may be necessary for this RSO to operate in such closer affiliation with the department.
3) Must abide by all University policies and regulations.
4) Must register with the Office of Student Life pursuant to this policy.
Voluntarily-Affiliated Student Organization (VSO):
These RSOs have a basic level of access to University support and benefits in exchange for basic accountability to the University. These RSOs have chosen to affiliate with the University but are NOT agents of the University.
1) Must maintain appropriate level of insurance (if insurance is required by the University, dependent upon
the level of risk the group typically is involved in.
2) Must abide by all University policies and regulations.
3) Must register with the Office of Student Life pursuant to this policy.
Non-Affiliated Student Organization (NSO):
These RSOs have no access to University support and benefit. These RSOs have chosen not to affiliate with the University and are NOT agents of the University. These RSOs will essentially be treated as any other groups external to the University.
1) Does not need to register with the University pursuant to this policy.
2) Must abide by all University policies and regulations in the same manner as all members of the University community.