Welcome to the Invention Studio at Georgia Tech! We are the largest student-run makerspace in the nation, open to all students regardless of major, year, or background. Learn how to use 3D printers, laser cutters, waterjets, and more!
The Invention Studio is student-run design-build-play space open to all Georgia Tech students. We provide access to many tools, such as 3d printers, laser cutters, a waterjet, wood tools, and more. It is staffed by Prototyping Instructors (PIs), student volunteers who are always on hand to train you and help with your projects. Use of the studio is free, and all majors and years are welcome.
Org - Professional/Departmental
Ex: President, CEO, Director
Please state the name of the primary student organization leader.
Joshua Von Holtz
Please state the officer that is responsible for managing finances, even if they are an officer already listed. This information will be shared with SGA.
Ex: Treasurer, Vice-President, etc.
Director of Finance
Please list information about how students can become members. Please note this information will be public on your portal.
There are a few steps to become a Prototyping Instructor:
1. Download and complete the Basic Skills Checklist. This checklist shows that you know how to use all the major machines in the Invention Studio safely. If you don't know how to use a machine, watch our tutorial videos and make a small project using the machine. Once you're comfortable with the machine, you can get checked off by any PI while they're on duty. Material is provided to take the test, but you cannot receive help from the PI on duty while taking the test.
2. Upon completing your checklist, you will be interviewed by 3 members of our current Invention Studio staff. This interview is informal and is to get an idea of your interest and ability to teach users of the Studio.
For more information and to download the checklist, visit http://inventionstudio.gatech.edu/recruitment/
If you have not selected a day of the week to meet, or if the changes regularly, please select TBD below. Please note this information will be public on your portal.
This information will be on your profile. We encourage groups to think of this as a way to share what members will be working on, and what they can expect from your organization this year.
1. Promote a fun, welcoming environment that encourages users of all backgrounds and experience levels to enjoy making things.
2. Increase the number of Prototyping Instructors to staff the space.
3. Expand the Studio's footprint in the building in which it resides and renovate this space.