FFT Advisory Board - Application or Nomination Form
Thank you for your interest in joining the Food for Thought Advisory Board and Working Groups. After receiving 25 inquiries, applications and nominations are now closed. If you have any questions, please contact Angela Hamilton email@example.com.
Dear Members of the PSU community interested in re-building Food For Thought,
We would like to invite you to be a part of the process of re-envisioning, re-structuring, and re-opening Food for Thought Café on PSU campus. We invite you to apply for a position on the 10-12 person advisory board tasked with creating a business plan that addresses the multiple issues that led to the café’s closure. We really need your help to re-open!
First and foremost, we are looking for people—students, staff, faculty, and community members--with an interest in Food for Thought. This is a voluntary role, so we are seeking people intrinsically motivated to do this work. We would also love to see any of the following:
sustainable food systems experience (sourcing, health code, gardening, etc.)
restaurant management, business, and/or marketing experience
interest in community building, community health, and food justice
accounting and cash handling
passion for enriching, engaged learning opportunities for PSU students and campus community
systems design (permaculture, applied living systems principles, modeling)
Participation in this Advisory Board would involve work on one (or more!) of these specific committees:
- Budgeting, Accounting & Cash Handling: bookkeeping, POS system, cashiering, budgeting, inventory, financial statements and reporting
- Food: menu planning, sustainable sourcing (ie. Farm to Table), environmental impact assessment, waste management, life cycle analysis of food
- Personnel: staffing (what jobs need to get done), labor hours, training, hiring, scheduling, onboarding/offboarding
- Space Management: inventory storage, re-organizing kitchen, restaurant layout, risk management
- Outreach, Education & Inclusion: marketing, creating a safer space, events, customer service, community building
- Logistics: Policy and process development, handbook, performance management
- Organizational Learning: employee learning and leadership outcomes, cross-campus collaboration for student learning, campus as a living laboratory
We plan to schedule the first advisory board meeting between June 23rd and 27th pending availability of those appointed. We will continue to meet as a board every two weeks throughout the summer with additional committee work that will need to be accomplished in the interim. Members should be able to commit to the advisory board for the duration of the summer. Pending the creation of an ongoing advisory board within the business plan, members may continue on the board beyond the end of Summer if interested.
Becoming a Member
Interested students, staff, faculty, and community members may apply or nominate others to become members of the advisory board, who will then be appointed by Aimee Shattuck, Director of Student Activities and Leadership Programs. Applicants who are not appointed to the board may be invited to share specific expertise on occasion and/or to serve on a working group. We will begin to review applications on Tuesday, June 17th.
Info Session - If you would like to attend an info session prior to applying, we will hold one at 5pm on Thursday, June 12th in Food for Thought Cafe.
We thank you so much for your continued support of Food For Thought’s mission to provide affordable, vegetarian, whole foods and a socially engaged space that’s safe and inclusive to all. If you have any questions, please contact Angela Hamilton at firstname.lastname@example.org – 503.725.5652.
We look forward to working with you,
The Re-Building Food For Thought Team